Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Ray,

It took a minute to figure out what you meant, then I went back to your earlier post and saw that you have a collection of unusual sizes. Your talking math I wouldn't care to extrapolate, but more power to you for taking the time to determine what you can do.

Nice that you got that Bison, they are one of my favorite sensibly priced chucks. I have a 6" Bison 3 jaw that I use most of the time, a ??? 10" 3 jaw and some itty-bitty mystery 4 jaw that's not mounted to a plate yet, so I was lacking in a large 4 jaw. I almost spit my lunch over the computer when I looked up what I had bought, that Rohm turned out to be a just shy of $4K for a new one!o_O

I think I have the basic docs right now, operators manual, parts list and inspection manual. If you have anything different, please let me know.
Thanks

Mark

I don't think I have any documentation you don't already have...

You really scored with the Rohm. My bison did not come with a backplate - yea ebay... I will be looking for a good 6 jaw this weekend - a guy I know with a pile o junk may have one buried somewhere.

Not a very good picture. came with a 3 jaw, collet closer, steady rest, aloris B tool post - now I need to get some tool holders...

I have ordered a section of acme thread and some acme nuts to fix the cross slide which is worn - I think the shop used this lathe to face stuff - a lot!

Ray,
Might be a silly question and I apologize if I am stating the obvious, but did you try adjusting the nut to take out the backlash? I had a small amount, but took out almost all of it and kept smooth operation until the last few turns at max travel of the cross slide. I remember it took me a minute to get the order of adjustment correct before I sorted it out. It's on page 23 of the manual.

You have a good looking machine there and it looks like the paint gods have been kind to you. Including mine, I have seen three of these in person and they all suffered from lifting paint that wanted to come off in sheets. I pray my paint job stands the test of time, I removed all of the oil soaked filler and painted the whole machine with industrial grade tractor paint. I never want to do that again.

Good luck on the chuck hunt, I've never used a 6 jaw and not sure what benefit it would be for my use, but I know some people consider it a must have.

I'm originally from Boston and any time I visit, I lose my mind over the abundance of quality machine equipment when I troll Craigslist.

Mark

I pulled the screw out and there was significant wear, so while I was ordering the screw stock, I bought 2 new nuts (can I say that? :) ) and will see about fitting them as well. I am hoping that I can use the machine to actually build the parts...

BTW, I may have enough Acme rod left for a second cross slide - assuming that I don't mess up what I have...

I will need to buy up some small stuff - live centers etc, and then decide if I am keeping the SB or selling it...

This was a 1 owner machine cam out of a local shop. I am always surprised when I see machines coming out of a shop that are in just so-so quality due to lack of care... the headstock has oil, but the oiler was non functional, and it has been a while since the front reservoir had any oil in it.

A good point is that the shop had moved the on / off switch to the top - the grey box in the picture

Ray

Hi All,

I need to get past several other projects, BUT I just got in the Acme rod to fix the compound rest, AND the lathe is now inside and close to where it will live.

The above is the new rod with some new nuts that I will machine to fit

The above is the worn area for the screw

Above, is the 'good' thread from the original lead screw.

I got all this stuff from Green Bay Manufacturing - cost was ~$200.

I will 'just' graft the new screw section onto to the old one... 'What could go wrong?'

Ray

Hi everyone,

I just joined tonight after finding this posting about TSL lathes. I have a 1969 TSL-800 with a full set of change gears, steady rest, and follow rest. I will try to take and post some pictures of the follow rest in the next couple days for you all to see. I added a DRO, milling attachment, and have a few different Chuck's/faceplates for it. Mine was made in Japan, and I believe one of the last few year's they were made there. I love using this lathe and it has made some really nice parts. Just wanted to say hi to everyone.

Some pictures as promised...if I can work this attachment correctly.

Attachments

• KIMG0814.JPG
    KIMG0814.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 60
  • KIMG0813.JPG
    KIMG0813.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 60
  • KIMG0810.JPG
    KIMG0810.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 58
  • KIMG0809.JPG
    KIMG0809.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 58
  • KIMG0808.JPG
    KIMG0808.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 60
  • KIMG0812.JPG
    KIMG0812.JPG
    40.6 KB · Views: 61
This is great! I will be adding a DRO to mine as well - would you mind taking pictures of the installation?

Interestingly, I don't know when mine was built - I have not seen a tag with a date - just a model and serial #

Let me know if you need the manuals - I have digitized copies of mine

Thanks

Ray

This is great! I will be adding a DRO to mine as well - would you mind taking pictures of the installation?

Interestingly, I don't know when mine was built - I have not seen a tag with a date - just a model and serial #

Let me know if you need the manuals - I have digitized copies of mine

Thanks

Ray
Hi Ray, I'd love to get a copy of the manuals you have. I did find some a while back, but what I have does not seem very comprehensive.

-Zack

Back