Webb/Takisawa TSL-800D, curious if there are other owners here

Some more pictures, this time of the DRO mounts. I made all the custom parts on the lathe, using a milling attachment.

Attachments

• KIMG0815.JPG
    KIMG0815.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 56
  • KIMG0816.JPG
    KIMG0816.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 56
  • KIMG0817.JPG
    KIMG0817.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 60
  • KIMG0818.JPG
    KIMG0818.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 54
  • KIMG0819.JPG
    KIMG0819.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 56
  • KIMG0820.JPG
    KIMG0820.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 53
@Usedspacecraft Thanks for posting those pictures! That is the FIRST picture I have EVER seen of a Taskisawa follow rest, all others have been drawings from the manual. I broke down and purchased a follow rest off eBay about a month ago that had what looked to be similar dimensions with aspirations toward modifying it to fit my TSL-800. If you have the time an inclination, could you please post the dimensions between the mounting holes and the relative dimensions for the offset and height of the centerlines of the brass fingers?

Et al., My lathe is still broken down into a hundred+ parts as a result of my cleanup effort, but spring is here and I plan to start cleaning and reassembling over the next several months. This will include installation of a DRO. I'll try to capture pictures and notes as I go along. Nothing much to report yet, since it has all been disassembly so far. Does anybody have any specific requests for pictures or measurements as the reassembly happens?

Thanks!
JJ

When I have a chance I will take some measurements for you and post them on this thread. I may end up moving my cross slide DRO scale since right now it.lives on top of the steady rest mounting holes. I'll probably have to tap a new set on the back side and move the scale over to there to be able to use it again. I'm glad people are finding the pictures useful.

Hi JJ,

I am starting my tear down, If you have taken pictures of your tear down, it would be great to put them on a site for general reference. If needed, I could host them.

Ray

Unfortunately I mostly took videos instead of pictures so that it would jog my memory when it comes time to put the lathe back together. There really wasn't anything special in the tear-down except that it was a little tricky to get the foot brake bar removed. It was re-painted at some point and that extra layer made it difficult to slide the bushings off that bar.

I do think I came up with a cheap and effective way to put it on wheels while I work on it. I used some scrap angle iron and some casters to fabricate a set of wheels. This allows me to roll this heavy beast out from the corner of my garage into the center where I can work on it easier. It actually rolls pretty easy. Plus, I got some long leveling feet that go through the original leveling feet holes to park and level it in its final spot. If anybody wants a picture of that, I can post one. I'm a big fan of attaching wheels to stuff like this to aid in moving it around whenever necessary.

JJ

Thanks to you all for the info in this thread. I just bought an 800D, a 1976 model. I got it from the original owner, in pretty working shape. Came with all the gears, a collet closer, 8” 3 jaw, Aloris CXA QCTP and couple holders, and of all things, a turret attachment. Don’t know what if anything I would do with this?

Interestingly, mine has only 6 positions for the feed selector slide, where some have 8 positions. This means I have to change gears to cut 13 TPI, for example. Which I have never done, however. :)

There seem to be some common failures...the apron Oiler doesn’t work, so I will have to tear into that one of these days. And I got a quote from a Banggood supplier for 20 CXA holders for about $15 each, considering that. A DRO needs to be added.

I turned a 8” bar between centers, and was kind of disappointed to see about .001 difference in diameter. Then I leveled with a precision level, wow those things are sensitive! Repeated the test, down to about a couple tenths...might be more variance in my measuring ability, really.

I’m happy!

I'm going to finally have some free time to start restoring mine in the next few weeks. First step is power washing the sh*t out of it. The worst area is the sump for the coolant reservoir. This brings up my first question:

Is it really worth the hassle for me to clean out, seal up, reinstall the tubing and pump to allow me to cut with coolant? I have never used coolant before, so I'm ignorant on whether it would be worth it or not. Plus, it just seems messy for a home-gamer in a garage like me. Any advice?

JJ

This was just posted locally. I'd be all over it if I had room for it and if I hadn't just bought a new one.
Thinking this a Taiwan made one?

In that Facebook link above, there are no change gears; it always mystifies me how often they aren't included with this lathe, since as far as I know, a set was included with every lathe made. I can only assume that people store the gears somewhere away from the lathe and forget about them, probably tossing them out at some point. It's a sensitive topic with me because I'm about to take delivery of a TSL-800 myself... which of course comes with no change gears—and it's from the original owner, who has no memory of them... ugh. I wonder if this is partly a consequence of the TLS-800's design, that there's no storage space inside the legs, so people are forced to store accessories elsewhere, but so it goes.

Last edited:
I was just looking at the same add on Craigslist! I was also wondering what all came with it other than what was listed. Maybe I will have to give him a call tomorrow.

I will let you know if I do.

Ryan

Back