Welding cart build

I built a nice cart for my TIG, MIG, Plasma and bottles.
I'm now thinking of placing the tanks in a corner and running tubing to the welders on my table shelf.
By doing this, I gain the floor space from losing the cart.
The jury is still out on this one.
I'm trying to figure out where to put the band saw.
I have the horizontal milling machine that I have only used once. (Ulma Doc donation) I could never get rid of it.
Small shops are us.

I built a nice cart for my TIG, MIG, Plasma and bottles.
I'm now thinking of placing the tanks in a corner and running tubing to the welders on my table shelf.
By doing this, I gain the floor space from losing the cart.
The jury is still out on this one.
I'm trying to figure out where to put the band saw.
I have the horizontal milling machine that I have only used once. (Ulma Doc donation) I could never get rid of it.
Small shops are us.
Do you have some pics of your cart Jeff?

I have the same machine as Jeff but don't have a plasma cutter.
I built a cart from square tube steel and sheet metal as my project for my MIG class. Almost all the metal came from the cut off area at a metal supply, so it was pretty cheap to build. Only issue is using steel that was available cheap rather than most appropriate combined with my natural tendency to overbuild resulted in a cart that is probably twice the weight it needs to be. I think if it rolled out into traffic and got hit by a truck, the truck would lose. :grin:

I need to be very mobile since I store the welder in the basement but have to weld outside on a dirt surface so I use the smaller tanks that are about 3 feet tall, and 8" casters with pneumatic tires for better cross country performance. The length of the machine with the tanks resulted in a very long narrow cart so I mounted the 2 tanks on the side beside the welder which gives the cart more of a square profile.

I'm away from home right now but can post some photos sometime next week.

I have the same machine as Jeff but don't have a plasma cutter.
I built a cart from square tube steel and sheet metal as my project for my MIG class. Almost all the metal came from the cut off area at a metal supply, so it was pretty cheap to build. Only issue is using steel that was available cheap rather than most appropriate combined with my natural tendency to overbuild resulted in a cart that is probably twice the weight it needs to be. I think if it rolled out into traffic and got hit by a truck, the truck would lose. :grin:

I need to be very mobile since I store the welder in the basement but have to weld outside on a dirt surface so I use the smaller tanks that are about 3 feet tall, and 8" casters with pneumatic tires for better cross country performance. The length of the machine with the tanks resulted in a very long narrow cart so I mounted the 2 tanks on the side beside the welder which gives the cart more of a square profile.

I'm away from home right now but can post some photos sometime next week.
Pictures would be great.
I'm considering putting the tanks on the side. It would end up being about 4" wider than the having two tanks side by side at the back. Overall depth would be about 9" less which is a consideration.

Pictures would be great.
I'm considering putting the tanks on the side. It would end up being about 4" wider than the having two tanks side by side at the back. Overall depth would be about 9" less which is a consideration.

Yeah, putting them on the back made the cart something like 26" wide and 44" long, putting them on the side made it more like 30x36.

Here’s one sketch, tanks at the back. TIG on top, drawer under that, then MIG and a space underneath for the foot pedal and other flotsam.
(It should be completely obvious that I failed out of art school :D )
55cbf73084cc17bf13e9bf2f296d432f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I picked up a bunch of those 3 drawer rolling file cabinets awhile back thanks to C-Bag for telling me how great they are. I mounted my little HF welder on one. The big bottom drawer holds the helmet, gloves and welding jacket. I have most of my soldering stuff in the middle drawer and the top drawer holds the clippers, hammers, etc. Very handy to have drawers. You should consider having some drawers in your cart.

I picked up a bunch of those 3 drawer rolling file cabinets awhile back thanks to C-Bag for telling me how great they are. I mounted my little HF welder on one. The big bottom drawer holds the helmet, gloves and welding jacket. I have most of my soldering stuff in the middle drawer and the top drawer holds the clippers, hammers, etc. Very handy to have drawers. You should consider having some drawers in your cart.
Definitely! I have a side opening drawer under the TIG shelf (the top shelf) it's not obvious because the drawing is so awful.

Last edited:
It’s funny how I could never find those cabinets used until you pointed out the ones in town for FREE! I only grabbed two even though I think there was 3 or 4. It’s taken me all this time to find the material cheap and to make the cart for the UniDrill. Now I wish I’d gotten the other one even though I had no place to store it. Besides the welding cart I need one for the shaper. Mickri i had completely forgotten about the other welding torches and soldering stuff I have stowed in other drawers until you mentioned that. Right now the last 3 drawer is on a dolly with some of my welding stuff in it. The least I can do it get all my welding and soldering gear into it and centralized until I get the cart built.

Back