Well... I finally did it. PM-833TV (now in my shop!)

Hah! Years ago, I managed to lift my PM25 onto my bench with my arms/body. Barely. The only way I'd lift that thing is to remove the column and do it in two pieces. If I was younger of course. ;)

Now I'd just grab the engine hoist and use that. :D

The used Jet mill I got came with a 4" import vice that was terrible. Replaced it with a 6" Kurt, way better. I've been known to move the jaw to the back of the movable for large parts. Same can be done on the other end. I've only once made a special set of jaws for a weird part. My sets of parallels are all 6", the most common size. The most likely place for me to run out of machine is in the Z. & I've got a 9 X 49 knee machine. A two part vice will give you extra Z and allow you to hold long parts for X travel.

Great to see your mill finally arrived.

Nice bikes, looks like you have the 1979 model GS1000SN.

I have 2 1980 GS1000ST's.

BTW I raced one in NZ for a few years and now manage the World Registry for the GS1000S models.

FYI, there were approx 7,000 of the SN model and 5,000 of the ST model produced world wide, of those maybe 2,000 made it to North America.

Here's a few pictures,

Posing with the man himself Wes Cooley a few years back..

IMG_4286A.jpg

1979GS1000SRuapunaNationalRace_zpscf178a7e.jpg

1979GS1000SMansfield_zpsda81395d.jpg

photo20295_zpsmwy0rnww.jpg

Great to see your mill finally arrived.

Nice bikes, looks like you have the 1979 model GS1000SN.

I have 2 1980 GS1000ST's.

BTW I raced one in NZ for a few years and now manage the World Registry for the GS1000S models.

FYI, there were approx 7,000 of the SN model and 5,000 of the ST model produced world wide, of those maybe 2,000 made it to North America.

Here's a few pictures,

Posing with the man himself Wes Cooley a few years back..

View attachment 335067

1979GS1000SRuapunaNationalRace_zpscf178a7e.jpg

1979GS1000SMansfield_zpsda81395d.jpg

photo20295_zpsmwy0rnww.jpg
Very cool! You wouldn't happen to be on the GS1000S Facebook group would you? There's a guy on there, I think in BC, has 2 of those bikes.

Very cool! You wouldn't happen to be on the GS1000S Facebook group would you? There's a guy on there, I think in BC, has 2 of those bikes.
No I'm not, but that's probably Trevor from Vancouver Island, he bought a 2nd one recently.

I should probably join facebook, as I've heard the market place is pretty active as well.

If you could send me your VIN, I can add it to the Register, also engine number if you don't mind.

BTW did you order a vice yet?
I bought the PM Precision Homge 5" but I'm going to pickup a Kurt DX6's as the Homge is OK but not as good I was expecting.

David.

@Kiwi Canuck yes I did order a vise, a Glacern GSV440 on sale, for barely more than the PM Homge vise. I think it will be fine for just about anything I will need to do. I'll keep my eye out for a good deal on a larger used Kurt in the meantime.

Vise.jpg

On another note - any advice on wiring this to a plug? I presume the green/yellow wire with the loop connector is the ground, and the brown and blue wires with spade connectors are 240V power. I ordered a NEMA 14-50 plug for the mill, and need to wire this power cord into it. (14-50R wall receptable already in place)

Wiring.jpg

The NEMA 14-50 plug and wall receptacle would have a neutral, which I presume I'd just not be using.

1598716999041.png

On another note - any advice on wiring this to a plug? I presume the green/yellow wire with the loop connector is the ground, and the brown and blue wires with spade connectors are 240V power. I ordered a NEMA 14-50 plug for the mill, and need to wire this power cord into it. (14-50R wall receptable already in place)

View attachment 335182

The NEMA 14-50 plug and wall receptacle would have a neutral, which I presume I'd just not be using.

View attachment 335183
Yes, green/yellow is ground. Brown and blue are 220 volt.

Good luck!
Ariel

Yes, green/yellow is ground. Brown and blue are 220 volt.

Good luck!
Ariel

Thanks, just opened the side panel on the control box and see clearly yellow/green is ground. Do you know if there is a polarity for the two power wires? The 14-50 has no apparent polarity, both power blades/slots the same size.

No polarity. It is AC voltage, just 220 volt generated from the transformer that feeds your house (110-0-110). You are not using the neutral (0) just the 2 phases of 110 volt and because they are 180 degrees opposite to each other you get 110+110=220 volt

Back