Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

David,

Thank you. I need to remember that part of making sure that the quill is fully elevated... before I modify the drawbar...

Got an email that the knee/Z-axis Servo has shipped! Should be here on the 15. That is great news!

All I need now is the VFD... still waiting for delivery of that one...

I do have a question... What would be a good size vise for this machine??

I can't seem to be able to remove the steel plate so that I can get access to the bearings...

It is #9 in the diagram... I have a new washer (#3)... new top nut assembly (#8 and #1)
Wells-Index 847.jpg

How the heck to I get that part out???

IMG_4439.jpeg

IMG_4440.jpeg

After it is out I want to replace the bearings... then use some filler to fix all those dings/dents... sand and paint...

Video...

Last edited:
Watching this video... but this is only assembly.... and noticed he forgot the wavey washer... Anyway, so even that part is not easy to insert... so it is just not held in place by the four bolts...

So am guessing that I press out the shaft... then, from the opposite side, I press out bearing-spacer-bearing and that steel plate with the four holes... hummm

Of course my press is in the other house... doggone-it!

Last edited:
I can't seem to be able to remove the steel plate so that I can get access to the bearings...

It is #9 in the diagram... I have a new washer (#3)... new top nut assembly (#8 and #1)
View attachment 396174

How the heck to I get that part out???

View attachment 396175

View attachment 396176

After it is out I want to replace the bearings... then use some filler to fix all those dents... sand and paint...

Video...

try a torch, just heat it up a little, don't melt the aluminum casting. I'll bet that it's glued by old grease or whatever. Or take a heat gun. You should be able to get a screw driver under the inner part and pry it up.

try a torch, just heat it up a little, don't melt the aluminum casting. I'll bet that it's glued by old grease or whatever. Or take a heat gun. You should be able to get a screw driver under the inner part and pry it up.
I tried using a torch…. No go.

But looking at the video…I am going to support the large cover and hit the center shaft with a mallet…. Placing a socket of the same diameter of the shaft so to not damage it…

Will be right back…

One step closer!!

E4FD5AD9-0C71-41FD-B5FC-A3F33F97F476.jpeg

Lots of cleaning to do!! Now to remove the rest… also need to figure out size of replacement bearings… Wells-Index only had one of the two required… the one they had was the less expensive of the two and it was over 100.00 :oops:
F10F9A0A-EC54-4E1B-A169-A88FED5760A2.jpeg

Back