Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

I would think you don't need the brake if you have the tool. It's doing the work for you. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

I thought about that... then about machining the drawbar to correct length... then about making a shim to go between the Maxi Torque-Rite and the base plate to compensate for the raise the cartridge bearing locknut with the pulley shaft

IMG_4260.jpeg

But by then I was just too scare to tackle it all... Yeah, I am obviously missing an adapter...

I thought about that... then about machining the drawbar to correct length... then about making a shim to go between the Maxi Torque-Rite and the base plate to compensate for the raise the cartridge bearing locknut with the pulley shaft

View attachment 394453

But by then I was just too scare to tackle it all... Yeah, I am obviously missing an adapter...
Make the adapter to raise it. You can't go wrong right? It only costs you time and some parts.. Probably AL 6061. if it solves your problem you are gold. It will raise the piece over the inteferrence, and cover the height of the extra bar length. BTW I don't think the bar is engaged full time, only when activated, so you may need more height than you think.. But GETTER DONE.. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Make the adapter to raise it. You can't go wrong right? It only costs you time and some parts.. Probably AL 6061. if it solves your problem you are gold. It will raise the piece over the inteferrence, and cover the height of the extra bar length. BTW I don't think the bar is engaged full time, only when activated, so you may need more height than you think.. But GETTER DONE.. nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The bar needs to sit .05" bellow bearing cap... or, in my case, whatever adapter is there...

MTR.jpg

I will wait to hear from Wells-Index on the cost of that adapter before I venture into making one... But yeah, a big chunk of aluminum (AL 6061) machined to the right height and with the clearance for the brake and it should all work as required...

Will report back later today...

What woodchucker said....... and you still will need the brake too, I think they sent you the wrong draw bar ;)

What woodchucker said....... and you still will need the brake too, I think they sent you the wrong draw bar ;)

The might have... it needs to be longer. But how long, not sure??

I almost think they sent me the one for the variable speed head...

Wells-Index+847+Manual+Milling+Machine+Blue+Photon+with+power+drawbar.jpeg

And looking at the mount they used on the variable speed head... I might be overthinking (like I always do) the solution... They just used plates with spacers... I have some of that material... I don't even have to go out to buy anything...

308144-6.jpeg8-26.jpeg
Power Drawbar Bracket.jpeg
Here I was thinking.. block of aluminum, some complex design, maybe having to figure out a program for the CNC machine (that is still not completely finished).... Ha! Two thick plates and some spacers and done! Why? Why? Why do I always think about the most complex solution!!??

Last edited:
The might have... it needs to be longer. But how long, not sure??

I almost think they sent me the one for the variable speed head...

View attachment 394505

And looking at the mount they used on the variable speed head... I might be overthinking (like I always do) the solution... They just used plates with spacers... I have some of that material... I don't even have to go out to buy anything...

View attachment 394506View attachment 394507
Here I was thinking.. block of aluminum, some complex design, maybe having to figure out a program for the CNC machine (that is still not completely finished).... Ha! Two thick plates and some spacers and done! Why? Why? Why do I always think about the most complex solution!!??
well like everything else, most people go over board.

Like the million dollar consulting that was done because a company was underfilling boxes. The consultants came up with an exotic system and would stop the line every time a box was underweight, causing them to fall behind everyday. The employees decided to put a fan on the line and blow the boxes off the conveyor to prevent the line from shutting down. So a simple solution that could have been done earlier, but management felt it required millions to solve.

Just like our political system. (I Just had to, the devil made me do it).

Got a response from Mark (General Manager at Wells-Index).... There is no kit as such... suggested the same approach I shared in the photos. That is what they do when customers order the machines with powerbar setups...

Cool... let me start making those two plates and spacers.

Keep the spindle brake - you'll want it if you ever use an ER collet chuck in the spindle and need to tighten the collet nut (just one example).

This is how mine is mounted. Just make yourself a riser block.

47448011321_20e33ffede_k.jpg

Your drawbar is too long. But be very precise when you shorten it on the end that goes into the R8 tooling. You want the splined head of that drawbar precisely positioned vertically when the quill is fully elevated. If you get it too short, it will not actuate properly - I've been there.

David

Back