Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

Modified a gland wrench to fit the cartridge bearing locknut...

IMG_4124.jpeg

IMG_4125.jpeg

And also polished the outer rim of the handwheel... to match the others.

IMG_4133.jpeg

Last edited:
@mksj - both items should be back in stock by Jan 10

DURApulse GS20 series AC general purpose drive, 230 VAC, 3hp with 1-phase input - GS21-23P0 - $246.00
DURApulse keypad mounting cable, 9.8ft/3m cable length - GS-CBL2-3L - $21.50

Anything else that is needed?

Well... got an email that the VFD is still in backorder... now the date was pushed out to Feb 2...

Very tempted to cancel the order and go with something that is in stock....

Talking to the folks that sell the Maxi Torque Rite Power Draw Bar... they are telling me that they do not have a drawbar for the Wells-Index...

I am reaching out to Wells-Index to find out if they have that for sale... a drawbar that is compatible with the Maxi Torque...

R-8 Drawbar for Power Drawbar System ordered directly from Wells-Index... US$157.50 +shipping

Now I can order the Maxi Torque Rite...

Be careful who you deal with for the Maxi-Torque Rite. There are lots of dealers, many of whom are clueless. I recommend you talk with these people: https://www.maxitorqueritedrawbar.com/

View attachment 393079
David, yes. Those are the folks I have been exchanging emails with... and today I called them.

I was told to get the system directly from Wells-Index. I miss-understood and thought that they were only telling me to just get the drawbar, which I just ordered.

Now I am thinking that they meant that I should buy the complete system from Wells-Index. I do hope that is not the case... One, because I just order/paid for the drawbar from Wells-Index... and Two, because Wells-Index wants $1,122.50 (plus shipping) for the power drawbar setup....:oops:

Last edited:
Order placed for the Maxi-Torque Rite from the folks David ( @davidpbest ) recommended... The system without the drawbar...

PART#: TR100-WOB, MAXI TORQUE UNIT (with no drawbar), IN STOCK SUBJECT TO PRIOR SALE, $511.95 EACH

Let's hope the install goes easy... I am concern with the proximity of the brake lever...

That inner locking nut is the one I recently received. I want to change it just for cosmetics... obviously who ever went in there did not use the correct tool to remove it...

I also want to remove the larger cover just to recondition it and give it a fresh coat of paint...

IMG_3847.jpeg

Last edited:
Well... got an email that the VFD is still in backorder... now the date was pushed out to Feb 2...

Very tempted to cancel the order and go with something that is in stock....

Another email with a new date... I have cancelled that order.

I went ahead and ordered the Teco Westinghouse - L510-203-H1-U from Marshall Wolf Automation...

teco_l510-fat_1_14.jpeg

I'm new here. I live near Salem, Oregon and have a Wells-Index 847 mill. I have had this machine for about three years, and installed a generic Chinese digital readout about a year after I acquired it. It is in pretty good shape for its age, and has little wear on the ways. The only bad point is a lot of wear on the X-axis lead screw and nut. At some point I will need to fix this, but for now I don't put much stress on them and the readout means I don't have to rely on the dials to position that axis.

My son is learning to use my machine tools (2 Atlas lathes, an Atlas/Clausing 6300 lathe, and a Ramco (Bridgeport clone) mill) and is very impressed with the 847.

I got it from a young man who I believe tried to push it doing heaver work that it was designed for. It came with a 1-1/4" end mill holder, and that had a 1-1/2" end mill installed. There were steel shavings on the end mill!

It just saved me $2,300.00 by allowing me to remove 6 broken off bolts from a final drive from a small excavator. They were stuck in there so badly that I barely could remove the remains of the threads after milling out the entire bolt as far as the minor diameter in the flange!

Back