Wells-Index 847 Milling Machine - Ownership Thread

I also removed the motor, belts, etc. Wanted to clean in there... it was all full of grease/oil... just nasty...

Here, take a look... before:

View attachment 393525

And after...

View attachment 393526
View attachment 393528

View attachment 393527

View attachment 393529

I will remove all this again for further cleaning and repainting it... but the task at hand was to just inspect everything and determine if the spindle bearings were in good condition. Glad to see that they were... So everything got assembled back.

View attachment 393531

Then rotated the head back in place. I took the tramming tool with me, but did not have a chance to use it... need to do that as well.

I still need to redo the oiling system... that will be next...

Took the cheap vise from the house in Orlando... eventually I want to get a Kurt DX6 vise... but this will do for now.

View attachment 393530
two things, the bearing cap, drill 2 new holes, don't try fixing those old holes.. they are of no value
what's the plastic gear for in the top of the quill bore???? it does not look like it's fully engaging.
nice job so far.

two things, the bearing cap, drill 2 new holes, don't try fixing those old holes.. they are of no value
what's the plastic gear for in the top of the quill bore???? it does not look like it's fully engaging.
nice job so far.

Got it. Will drill two new holes. Thank you.

Plastic gear - That is the drive gear for the quill power downfeed... sacrificial drive gear... Not engaged as I was playing around during the assembly... Once I was done, it engages smoothly.

Interesting. I think the Wells-Index is a better idea. This is the "sacrificial" quill power feed gear on a Bridgeport style J-head. I've replaced mine once already:

screenshot_5375.jpg

Drawbar arrived from Wells-Index today... and I received an UPS email letting me know that the Maxi Torque Rite is arriving tomorrow!!

IMG_4210.jpeg

IMG_4213.jpeg

IMG_4211.jpeg

Last edited:
SOB!!! One of the bearings, the bottom one... US$104.25!!!! They do not have the top bearing...

(1) 880-067-004 (056-004-476 old #) - Wavey Washer - Part #3 in diagram - $15.70
(1) 885-001-031 - Top Bearing - Part #4 in diagram - Not in stock
(1) 885-002-032 - Bottom Bearing - part #21 in diagram - $104.25 !!!!!!
(2) - 100-002-975 - R8 Key - $12.95 each
(1) 100-002-974 - R8 Ring - $21.25
(1) 000-200-007 - Lower Bearing Retainer R8 - $79.70

Diag-1.jpg

Last edited:
SOB!!! One of the bearings, the bottom one... US$104.25!!!! They do not have the top bearing...

(1) 880-067-004 (056-004-476 old #) - Wavey Washer - $15.70
(1) 885-001-031 - Top Bearing - Not in stock
(1) 885-002-032 - Bottom Bearing - $104.25 !!!!!!
(2) - 100-002-975 - R8 Key - $12.95 each
(1) 100-002-974 - R8 Ring - $21.25
(1) 000-200-007 - Lower Bearing Retainer R8 - $79.70
you said they were quiet, why are you replacing them? If you want, take them out clean them in solvent, repack them using a high quality grease, maybe a molybdenum disulfide grease and reuse. If you start using it and it's giving you problems then replace the bearings.

Looks like the only thing you really needed was the r8 key (maybe)

you said they were quiet, why are you replacing them? If you want, take them out clean them in solvent, repack them using a high quality grease, maybe a molybdenum disulfide grease and reuse. If you start using it and it's giving you problems then replace the bearings.

Sorry, I was not clear. The ones that were dead quiet where the ones in the spindle... and glad those are in good condition... as the set is 600.00 to replace them.

The noisy ones are the ones in the step pulley... I added the diagram to the original post for clarity.

Measure those bearings, then get looking for a bearing supplier with a better price. I believe they're all standard sizes. I got several replacement bearings for my 847 from the auction site, and for a very reasonable price. These weren't the main spindle bearings, but were in the upper head. I did clean and repack a bunch that sounded fine. I used a good quality moly grease and was careful to get them spotlessly clean and not to overlube them. My spindle seems fine, so I'm leaving well enough alone there.
Mine has the 30 MMT spindle, BTW. It also has the variable speed head.

Measure those bearings, then get looking for a bearing supplier with a better price. I believe they're all standard sizes. I got several replacement bearings for my 847 from the auction site, and for a very reasonable price. These weren't the main spindle bearings, but were in the upper head. I did clean and repack a bunch that sounded fine. I used a good quality moly grease and was careful to get them spotlessly clean and not to overlube them. My spindle seems fine, so I'm leaving well enough alone there.
Mine has the 30 MMT spindle, BTW. It also has the variable speed head.

At those prices... it is worth it to get them out, clean them and repack them as suggested. I will have to remove them anyway to see if I can get replacements from a different source if cleaning and repacking is not enough.

I had some help Sunday... could have not done everything by myself. But just to deal with that cover attached to the pulley, that I can do on my own. I will remove next time I have a break... maybe in two weeks.

Back