Welp, That’s Done It!!

Buffalo21

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
About 45 minutes ago, I fell in the shop, the step ladder I was on collapsed, I fell from about 3 feet up, in between a milling machine and a drill press. almost 3 yrs ago I had massive reconstruction surgery on my right knee, well I can tell you thats not still “repaired’. I call the doctor, got his answering service, he called me back about 10 minutes later, he will see me on Monday at about 9 am, he said just come to the office, I squeeze you in. I bashed my left elbow, the one I shattered in 1993, is not feeling real good, huge mark on my right side and I may have broken my left thumb for the 3rd time.

Now the good news, during this incident, no machine tool, tooling or projects in progress were damaged. Neither the Bridgeport Mill or the huge Jet drill press, move at all. I did take me about 5 minutes to get back up on my feet, but no blood or missing body parts. I now sitting in the La-Z-Boy recliner with and ice pack on my right knee, another one taped to my left elbow.

looks like the drill bits will have to wait a day or two..........

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Jack.
Your misfortune serves to remind us all that falls (and especially falls from ladders) are very high on the list of most frequent injuries and deaths.
Knock-on-wood.
Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
Take care.

Hope nothing is broken. Falls can be nasty and I'm glad you weren't hurt worse.

Dang it!
I hope that there’s no lasting damage!
Good reminder for me to get rid of my 6’ fibreglass ladder. I noticed that one of the steps is bent....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, man! That had to be scary!

I had a rather frightening fall from a ladder a couple of years ago that could have been horrible but, mercifully, was okay. I was high up on a ladder changing a light fixture in my shop, and the ladder slid out from under me. I landed flat-footed on the concrete floor (my feet were about six feet up). My feet scored a direct hit BETWEEN two rungs of the ladder, and I fell over backwards. No telling how bad it would have been if the tops of my feet were under the higher rung. Nobody was home, so I just lay there for a few minutes. Nothing felt broken, so I got up and waited until I had help to finish the job. Things like that happen so quickly that you just don't have time to react. It was a real wake-up call for me. Old bodies don't heal nearly as quickly as young ones do.

Wishing you a speedy and full recover, Jack. At least you have a La-Z-Boy.

Regards,
Terry

Ouch!
My hopes too for a fast and full recovery.
-brino

Looks like you've had a few mishaps like me. Probably not as many as I've had. I've combined accidents (auto, sports, work, hobbies), bad luck, clumsiness, stupidity, etc into a long list of injuries. Hope everything works out.

Glad to hear no machines were harmed in the production of your action movie stunt work. I took a bad 10' fall a few years back, and shattered t-7. Has gotten a litlle better every year, but still hurts by the end of a hard day. Get better, and be careful out there. Mike

Welp, the night was a slight struggle, trying to get comfortable, finally got a couple hrs of sleep. The left elbow, while still a little swollen, does not hurt as bad as last night, the right knee is incredibly sore, almost as bad than before the repairs, there no doubt in my mind, that the left thumb is broken.

I was in the shop for a couple hrs this morning, got some stuff done, now back in the chair with the ice packs.

Back