Welp, That’s Done It!!

I sold my extension ladder last week to prevent me from using it ever again.
I feel very insecure once over 3 feet from the ground.
Take care of those injuries they hurt like hell as you get older.
I broke L4 and L5 in the early 70's and still get pain from them.
I confiscated my father’s extension ladder many years ago when he was 65. I’m expecting one of my sons to turn up any day now and confiscate it from me!
Maybe we need to designated the extension ladder as a family heirloom.....

I left my last extension ladder behind in Oregon when I moved. Never did like high places to begin with!

Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

I hate working off ladders. I'm trying to finish building my shop and I've been on ladders a lot more than I like. I've been trying to be extra careful when I'm working, but I found out the other morning that you can never be too careful. I got out of bed, hung my foot in the bedspread, and did a header into the chest of drawers. I didn't break anything on me or the drawers, but the top of my head is still a bit sore. LOL

Glad to hear about no damage machines and that you survived with minor injury as the older I get the more unfriendly ladders of any kind become as I do not bounce as good as I used to.

PLEASE make sure you have your cell phone with you ANY time you are working alone. That way you can call for help if needed.

won't work for me. my cell only works standing by the third oak tree from the north

on the other hand it came in handy after a bad mtb crash last week

Skierdude’s reply reminded me of my dad’s craptastic wood stepladder. He repainted it after the fire, in 1963. I assumed all stepladders had a certain amount of sway until I started painting houses in college. Werner fiberglass is all I own. I really need to go steal his and replace it, although he calls when he needs to use one which is better all around (at 87 he doesn’t need to be off the floor by any amount). It kills him to not be independent, but “a man has to know his limitations”. Heal fast, glad it wasn’t as bad as it could have been.

Glad you're not hurt too seriously. There aren't many friendly places to land in a machine shop!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Please let us know what brand step-ladder we should avoid. Thanks and good luck with healing.

Best Regards,
Bob

My best friend, and Best Man at my wedding is a professional painter. He was out here last week giving me a hand with the SheStudio project I had going. (This ain't no SHED). When he saw the old aluminum ladders I was using, he TOOK them from me, and gave me his far newer, and far stouter. Told me that he feared for my health.

I have a "Garden Room" project coming up for my wife, could you maybe do a thread on yours?

John

Back