Welp, That’s Done It!!

I hope all goes well for you Jack. I know personally that the aches and pains....bruises and cuts....just don’t heal like they used to. I’m glad you aren’t feeling sorry for yourself. You’ve got a good attitude. Self pity is a useless emotion which never served me well....never at all.
Anyway, sorry to hear about the mishap and hopefully it’s just bruises...nothing serious.

Last edited:
I saw the doctor, he believes at this point that the right knee issue is a bad sprain, without an MRI he can not be totally sure. As I’m extremely claustrophobic and have to use a open MRI, the only local open MRI, is currently down for repairs. So between it being down and the schedule backlog, were probably talking late August or early September, before I can get in. Hopefully by then it will have taken care of itself, if it’s a sprain.

The left elbow is still sore, if moved in certain positions, but seems to be getting better. The left thumb, according to the doctor, is broken (pretty much the a severe dislocation), but because of the type and location of the break, there is not much they can do, unless I want a club hand for 6 weeks. He said Motrin and time will take care of it, much like the last two times.

So except for some pain management, I’m pretty much no worse for wear. Hopefully the knee will progress and the thumb will remind me when I use it to be more careful.

Good to hear Buffalo. Well, at least as good as can be.

As a side note about claustrophobia, there is a trick that works for many people to get around that. Take a dry wash cloth and place it over your eyes, but not covering your nose. Try and put your mind in a good place. The cloth over the eyes gives the brain something to focus on other than the tube you are in. I never considered myself claustrophobic (sitting in small cockpits with an oxygen mask on never bothered me) but one MRI that was quite small set me off one time. I went to a different MRI facility the next time and the nurse showed me the wash cloth trick. Worked for me.

Good to hear Buffalo. Well, at least as good as can be.

As a side note about claustrophobia, there is a trick that works for many people to get around that. Take a dry wash cloth and place it over your eyes, but not covering your nose. Try and put your mind in a good place. The cloth over the eyes gives the brain something to focus on other than the tube you are in. I never considered myself claustrophobic (sitting in small cockpits with an oxygen mask on never bothered me) but one MRI that was quite small set me off one time. I went to a different MRI facility the next time and the nurse showed me the wash cloth trick. Worked for me.

We are talking extreme claustrophobia, if there is no one home, but me I won’t shut the bathroom door, I can not shut the bedroom door, I drive with the window half down even in the winter, I can not ride in the back seat of a car, where the window don’t roll down. They have to almost be sedated to use an OPEN MRI. I have to take medication to be able to fly, I have on one of our jobs, that has an underground tunnel, between the factory and the remote boiler room, that about 150 ft long, roughly 12 ft x 12 ft, I can not use it, regardless of the weather, I walk outdoors. I should be using a CPAP machine, can not use it, almost instant panic attack, when I put the mask on. My wife has a walk-in closet, I’ve never been inside it. At times this is crippling.

Last edited:
Wow. Yeah, the washcloth trick may not work for you. Sorry to hear about this issue. I certainly know how certain issues can be crippling.

This incident reminds me of my fall from a ladder in 2001, I vividly remember those last few seconds just before falling, you know you're about to fall and there's nothing you can do to stop the momentum so you sort of resign yourself to the fact that it's going to happen and it's going to hurt .
I ended up with a broken wrist , had to drive myself to the hospital.
Count your blessings, thing could have been a lot worse for you , you'll recover physically soon but mentally it'll take awhile.

I considered that. I have a few pics, and a couple of examples of what NOT to do:rolleyes:
I will see what I can come up with.

What NOT to do would be of particular interest....

John

About 2-3 years ago I had 3 falls, all within a years time. Two were missteps from trucks and one was a misstep from my boat onto a ladder. I had to get x-rays from the truck falls and x-rays and lots of pt on my right shoulder from the ladder fall. I have made it a point to be more focused and take my time to do any climbing up or down. I haven't had any more falls. I don't heal like I used to.
Glad you are ok!

Back