What Did You Buy Today?

"I thought about making a aluminum can crusher. Because, you know, I want to start melting stuff, lol."

Don't waste the effort on aluminum cans. They cast like crap. Try to find scrap that was originally cast- intake manifolds, hard drive housings, etc. Some wheels are cast but most are forged and therefore not ideal.
Good to know. Thank you.

Cool!!! That is the one that Clough42 recently made an updated review video on. I was tempted to update my old (small) QIDI 3D printer after watching his video. But I will wait until the shop is done.
Yeah, that's what sold me. I was looking at the Bambu, but the QIDI is open source which I prefer, and a bit cheaper right now.

Finally got my mitts on an SG48. Found it on Facebooger marketplace for $600. I have not seen it yet, my son went and picked it up for me today and sent a few pics. Looks to be mostly dirty and dusty but wont know for sure until I get my hands on it. I think it is complete save a spanner wrench and manual. The original owner fired it up for him, motor is whisper quiet and mag chuck clamped when activated. Table moved without resistance.

According to the serial number this would be a 1971 vintage? Possibly the last variant? 8" of travel? I am now on a quest to see what kind of documentation I can find before I go through it.

1691022629764.jpeg

1691022715152.jpeg
1691022827225.jpeg

Attachments

• 1691022784764.jpeg
    1691022784764.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 1691022667957.jpeg
    1691022667957.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 1691022596204.jpeg
    1691022596204.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 1691022899346.jpeg
    1691022899346.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 14
Finally got my mitts on an SG48. Found it on Facebooger marketplace for $600. I have not seen it yet, my son went and picked it up for me today and sent a few pics. Looks to be mostly dirty and dusty but wont know for sure until I get my hands on it. I think it is complete save a spanner wrench and manual. The original owner fired it up for him, motor is whisper quiet and mag chuck clamped when activated. Table moved without resistance.

According to the serial number this would be a 1971 vintage? Possibly the last variant? 8" of travel? I am now on a quest to see what kind of documentation I can find before I go through it.

View attachment 455838

View attachment 455840
View attachment 455842
Wow. What a great deal!!

View attachment 455838

View attachment 455840
View attachment 455842
Check out Vintagemachinery.org. They show manuals for Stanford Mfg, Surface Grinders that you can download.

Cool!!! That is the one that Clough42 recently made an updated review video on. I was tempted to update my old (small) QIDI 3D printer after watching his video. But I will wait until the shop is done.

On other news... I had this air cylinder that my brother gave me...

and I thought about making a aluminum can crusher. Because, you know, I want to start melting stuff, lol.

That is, until I saw that Amazon has the complete assembly anywhere from 49- 69.99... the heck with making my own. Ordered one... https://a.co/d/fCxBHnH

I think you should still just make your own can crusher. Way more fun making one than buying one. I have been crushing cans for over 20 years with mine. Here is my rendition.

I think you should still just make your own can crusher. Way more fun making one than buying one. I have been crushing cans for over 20 years with mine. Here is my rendition.

I bought the one already made... but I will confess... I order all the parts yesterday to build one as well... hehehehe... I wanted to test the cylinder my brother gave me.

Valve, exhaust ports, tubing

Side comment: As I go through this... and now that I am also close to playing with melting metals and all of that... I got rid of so much material that today I would see as raw material for other projects... you have no idea... Now I drive and see something someone is throwing away and I go like, "oh, that could be turned into..."

Ah yes, that slippery slope to full on hoarder syndrome. Going to pick up a 48' reefer trailer this morning for more storage space. Mike

Side comment: As I go through this... and now that I am also close to playing with melting metals and all of that... I got rid of so much material that today I would see as raw material for other projects... you have no idea... Now I drive and see something someone is throwing away and I go like, "oh, that could be turned into..."

Back