What Did You Buy Today?

Is that really engraving the metal or just removing the dark coating?

db22b849aedc3e6e4b9dadf113acdd07.jpg

Went in as they had gear buffers and walked out with more. Mics here $25 and $35 nzd
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok, the "Buy" was a couple of weeks ago. Just hadn't had a chance to screw in the quick connect air fitting. Pretty self explanatory.
BigNasty.jpg

The "Today" wasn't actually a buy, but I did have to go pick it up. Been keeping my eyes peeled for a TV for a 'monitor' for the little PC I want in the outside shop. At 52", this is a little bigger than hoped for. But it was free, and since beggars can't be choosers and such I'll have to live with it. Native resolution of 1920x1080, so it should be nice for watching YouTube videos and the like when working on cars 'n stuff. Might be big enough to do cad drawings and display them directly without having to make prints to haul out there too. Just need to find a wall bracket for this thing...
MeBlind.jpg

The "Today" wasn't actually a buy, but I did have to go pick it up. Been keeping my eyes peeled for a TV for a 'monitor' for the little PC I want in the outside shop. At 52", this is a little bigger than hoped for.
Nice find for a freebee. I’m a big fan of large screen TVs as monitors, saves me putting on reading glasses to see.I have a 50” 1920x1080 that I still haven’t hung in the back of the new shop, but I have the office out there. Morning new and market stuff in the background is my primary use.

Supposedly, engraves the metal… but not ordering until I see something from a reliable source…
I worked for a guy that had a Trotec 80w laser. In order to engrave metal you had to spray a coating on the metal. The coating would then "etch" into the metal. The spray-on stuff was quite expensive, and we never really pursued the metal engraving. His wife ended up using it for etching glasses with specialized writing (Father of the Bride) and selling them on Amazon. She got tired of doing that. Oh, that laser was $35k or so.

To explain the process for etching the metal with the lower powered lasers.
Metal is reflective. Nobody should be surprised.
Lasers are light. Again, no surprise there.

So, if you shoot a laser directly at the metal, it won't work well because light reflects off metal.
Now, if you put a black coating on the metal, the laser can't reflect as easy. And the heat from the laser can get to the metal.
It IS permanent. The coating might stick a little but it will come off if you need it to.
The reason there's a certain material preferred to be coated on the metal is so the material doesn't burn away as fast as, say, paint. The whole purpose is to get as much heat to the metal as possible.

That's why there's a coating put on metal before laser engraving it.

Now, if you're using a more powerful laser, the coating isn't necessary.

To explain the process for etching the metal with the lower powered lasers.
Metal is reflective. Nobody should be surprised.
Lasers are light. Again, no surprise there.

Now, if you're using a more powerful laser, the coating isn't necessary.
Makes sense. The metrology lab at my former employer had a number of laser scanners. The heads were attached to a Faro (company name) CMM arm. When the tech scanned a part/fixture, the data started appearing live on the laptop screen. It looked like the part was being "painted" onto the screen as new areas were scanned. Pre-scan process was to spray the steels/aluminum part with talcum powder to minimize the reflection.

Bruce

Back