What Did You Buy Today?

Picked up a 2' length of 2-1/2" square 6061 tube from Grainger - my local "source" didn't have any, so I had to buy some (darn):

Square 6061 Tube.jpg

What, you thought I said "Grainger?" I did; this is what I got & paid at Grainger:
Grainger.jpg Grainger Cart.png

Direct from Online Metals would have been:

Online Metals.jpg Online Metals Cart.png

Yes, I do have my monthly 15% discount on materials at Online Metals, but I still saved $10 at Grainger, just waited until I was in the vicinity to pick it up.And I still got the free storage tube for more stuff!

If I had known that I needed this when I ordered some A36 last month or some 4130 sheared-to-size- normalized sheet earlier this month I may have saved by getting it from Online Metals; but it always pays to shop around.

Online metals has been fubar on prices for a while now. I can save shipping by picking it up, but if I'm driving, I can go to several real suppliers at half the distance. They were ok after Thyssen Krupp bought them out, but within a year the whole price model was backwards.

McMaster is also good on price.

Oh, tip with Grainger- use their part numbers in Zoro (also Grainger) and pay Zoro prices- it makes a big difference.

Online metals has been fubar on prices for a while now. I can save shipping by picking it up, but if I'm driving, I can go to several real suppliers at half the distance. They were ok after Thyssen Krupp bought them out, but within a year the whole price model was backwards.

McMaster is also good on price.

Oh, tip with Grainger- use their part numbers in Zoro (also Grainger) and pay Zoro prices- it makes a big difference.
Yes on Zoro; but also check Zoro (& MSC) listings on eBay: less than direct and even less thsn pickup at MSC.

I got a floor lock from Zoro eBay for quite a bit less than Grainger’s price.

Another thing I do if I find something on eBay or to search the item description on Amazon: a lot of times eBay Sellers have stuff drop shipped by Amazon. I can get it cheaper on Amazon, faster shipping and more cash back on my Prime card.

Just a thought: when you have chatter on a cut, adding a random or semi random wiggle to the speed can fix it, or at least avoid continuously exciting it.

Might be a cool extra button on a controller

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Today, my universal motor and speed control from @The Custom Crafter arrived.

The 1500w servo motor has a lot more low end torque than signal-chopping VFDs, and the speed control is better than the unfiltered SCD from treadmills.
Darn you! I was just about to order a VFD for my lathe. Now I have to start looking at this project over again...

Darn you! I was just about to order a VFD for my lathe. Now I have to start looking at this project over again...
Small lathes could really benefit from this motor. Easy to fit, and it has coarse steps as well as fine sweep on the speed controller.

Bought back in March, finally got it home today. I wish I could have taken more pictures of the move, but schedules and such. Glad to have it home.

Attachments

• 20230816_193539.jpg
    20230816_193539.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20230816_193549.jpg
    20230816_193549.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230816_193619.jpg
    20230816_193619.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 44
Back