What Did You Buy Today?

Back when I bought my lathe, 6 or 7 years ago, my wife denies we ever discussed it. We did, but she didn't remember it because she was not interested in it, dismissing with her usual comment, "yeh, whatever". Eventually I was able to get some friends, who were with us at the time, to remind her of the conversation.

It has worked well ever since, anytime I buy something she is not happy about, I just say anothet one of your,"yeh whatever" moments.

I generally spend more than my wife, but I also do virtually all of our maintenance, houses, vehicles, etc.. Don't recall her ever questioning any of my purchases. Mike
Likewise, the only grief I ever get is when I complain about buying another 10 yards of mulch. She calmly mentions the difference in our spending habits!

Very cool. First lathe? And, what's the plan for it?
Actually my first lathe would be my Gingery lathe that I built in my teens, still have it. I have a busybee 9x20 lathe. This lathe is unreal better then the 9x20. 9x20 has served me well. But the quality of the standard modern is so much higher, I can't believe how heavy even the base is on this lathe. The lathe is 3 phase so I will be looking at getting a single to three phase vfd for it. Plans right now it so clean it up, reoil all of it, mount a qctp to it with out modding anything as I want to leave it in original shape as much as possible. Figure out how to get it in to the basement of the house with out killing me or the lathe.

When the Ontario school system dumped machine shop in the switch to the 3 finger graduation course, all the Standard Modern lathes were sold off for scrap. Some made it to the used market. The majority were very low hours.

The 3 finger graduation course is simply being able to do the following - hold down Control, Alt, Delete keys. If you can do this you graduate! At least it seems that way.
Pierre

Last edited:
When the Ontario school system dumped machine shop in the switch to the 3 finger graduation course, all the Standard Modern lathes were sold off for scrap. Some made it to the used market. The majority were very low hours.

The 3 finger graduation course is simply being able to do the following - hold down Control, Alt, Delete keys. If you can do this you graduate! At least it seems that way.
Pierre
First lathe I ever ran was a Standard Modern 14x40 with a foot brake in 2nd year metal shop. We did gas welding and brazing, stick, MIG, foundry, sheet metal, all sorts of good stuff. That was probably '91-'92. Our teacher was an American born Japanese named Keji Sugiyama who got out of Manzanar internment camp by volunteering for the Army's segregated 442nd Regiment under FDR. I really respected him, and he treated me well in kind. The year after I graduated, he retired and the program was gone.

Back