What Did You Buy Today?

A hand loader/bullet molder might well be interested in buying your lead. That's how I got rid of a bunch a couple years ago. Lead bricks will surely be of more interest than scrounging old wheel weights.

If those are lead bricks in the box, I would get them coated as soon as time permits.
Back in the early 90's at the DOE lab I was at - after an ES&H study, they came through and coated all the bricks.
Testing showed they deteriorated and the particles were all around the areas that they were used and stored in.
<End Safety Sally Moment...>

Had a bit of luck at an auction this week.

First item was described as "Ball Screw Load Test Fixture." Photo showed a table with some shafts and pulleys mounted on it. Seemed to have some potential to me for parts if nothing else so I bid it up to $8.00 and won. Here is what I got:
View attachment 327487
Top is 22"x63"x0.75". I see a welding table in its future. Not sure what I'll do with the 850 lbs of lead bricks in the box at lower left.

Second item was described as "Contents of storage rack" Photo showed a few bins with chunks of metal in them. What I got:
View attachment 327489
View attachment 327490
It maxed out my 500kg scale so I paid something less than $0.0045/lb. I'll be following the DIY XRF thread here on HM with interest. Until then I'll have to practice my spark test skills to ID the unmarked pieces.

Makes up for the times I took a chance on poor photos and vague descriptions and got burned.

That there is one stout clamp!

Now tell us what the Bridgeport plate is all about ... just decorative??? It does look kinda neat!

Is that an Elma fin ?

That there is one stout clamp!

Now tell us what the Bridgeport plate is all about ... just decorative??? It does look kinda neat!
I reckon it's from a demo at a tool show. Somewhere in my boxes of junque I've got some from Hardinge from IMTS back in '86.
The lines of people waiting for samples off of machine centers were long, but Hardinge was cranking them out on a turning center.
This one was sitting on a sitting all covered in sawdust and grime. Could barely make out the Bridgeport logo.

My wife bought me a Starrett 956 wood case for my birthday. It was about $81.

I may put my micrometers in it, or I might just take out the foam and use it as a storage box for loose items in my tool chest (e.g. lathe cutting tools).
41933792-AE04-4753-A516-CA26E99C636A.jpegB882E9F8-5137-4E9E-B360-49D2FD0153D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Today I bought 50" of 6" wide .001 stainless shim stock.

Building the CNC, I need to make my Z-axis guide rails parallel to the ballscrew and they are out about .003" over 18".

I wish I could have had the shim stock in my hands today but it's located in another state.

Back