What Did You Buy Today?

If those are lead bricks in the box, I would get them coated as soon as time permits.
Back in the early 90's at the DOE lab I was at - after an ES&H study, they came through and coated all the bricks.
Testing showed they deteriorated and the particles were all around the areas that they were used and stored in.
<End Safety Sally Moment...>
What did they use for coating?

The new toy just arrived. Jasic 200A AC/DC tig welder

27685cd49dd5d4d346648e62a3a79d9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just my personal preference, but I like the tumbler style digital micrometers over standard and electronic. I don't recall ever not adding 25, 50 or 75 appropriately to a standard mic, but still prefer the digital with a definitive number. I have 0-3" sets at each of my lathes, mills and workbench. Both of my lathes have Shars 0-1" and 1"-2" thread pitch micrometers, standard style. This tumbler-style 0-1" thread micrometer showed up on eBay for $59 delivered. Quickly hit the Buy It Now! Arrived today and I am very pleased. No sign of use, goes through the full range very smoothly. Guess my Tormach will be getting a Shars thread mic though I haven't thread milled on it yet.

Bruce

20200615_152303.jpg

On the local NAPA store's clearance table was this Digital Laser Tachometer. It will be useful with my Little Machine Shop Mini-Mill.
View attachment 327748

I bought an identical one from The Meter-Depot about 10 yrs ago, I paid less than $20, works great, it matches the optical encoders on the drill press and the lathe, within a rpm or two. The only issue with it, mine eats 9v batteries like popcorn.

I have the Harbor Freight 4-AA cell equivalent. I noticed that it, too liked to eat batteries. But I've started leaving one battery out (thereby un-connecting the stack) when not in use. Seems to be working.

It might well be that the control circuit, which has to be at least partially "on" all the time to detect the start button being pressed, is the culprit.

Back