What Did You Buy Today?

Whatever you do, don't depend on some external device. Learn and use something in your head for doing rough figuring. And a "lookup table" for closer figuring. The electronic devices make things go faster but you must know roughly what you're looking for before you start.

60+ years ago I learned about then famous Native American Chief SOH CAH TOA - Mnemonic for trigonometric functions of a right triangle:

Sine =Opposite / Hypotenuse
Cosine = Adjacent / Hypotenuse
Tangent = Opposite / Adjacent

Still with me - like an earworm of 'It's a Small World'

And growing up with a slide rule instead of a calculator the first approximation was done mentally so you'd put the decimal point in the right place and not figure 300 / 12 was 288 due to fat thumbing the wrong function key.

I still have a few slide rules strategically placed around the house - no better tool for quickly re-proportioning a ratio!

Pickett10FoolSlideRule.jpg

SkyRule.jpg

Stu

Got these the other day, after someone here posted them. Was going to make some, but don't think I could do it for $40 each, not to mention my time. Seem to be very well made, 12k pound capacity each, and will come in handy in the next month, when I should finally be moving all my equipment to the new space. Mike

IMG_20200623_164312105.jpg[ATTACH

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like a plan. Mike

They work pretty well I bought a set. I recommend you only use 3 in most situations. Also a 5/8 rod through the handles of 2 to tie them together can really help. I then put another 5/8 bar in the third one to steer.

Got these the other day, after someone here posted them. Was going to make some, but don't think I could do it for $40 each, not to mention my time. Seem to be very well made, 12k pound capacity each, and will come in handy in the next month, when I should finally be moving all my equipment to the new space. Mike

View attachment 329470[ATTACH

I have 2 sets of them, you get a 80,000# boiler up on them, they are still hard to move

You can also weld up something like this that fits on a bottle jack to use as a tie jack. It works great and not hard to make.

82e5154e2cc486731c3ce0c9921f72c5.jpg

I also use rubber pard on the top of my skates. Helps with gripping the skates like to slide out especially if they are not tied like I mentioned

b77fdc738688c35bb94e4c55bc2bbb10.jpg

Good tips from all on the skates. I found out the hard way that 4 skates wander on uneven concrete, and that they need to be perfectly aligned. Otherwise, they have helped me move my 4500# mill around the shop with relative ease. Best to use two people and some Egyptian style pry bars.

View attachment 329470[ATTACH

Skates work really well on concrete, if you have trouble keeping 4 to stay under a machine try 3 out. its hard to get them to sit nice and not slide on 4 points :)

Back