What Did You Buy Today?

Well, it seems my computer will let me in again. I didn't expect it till Monday, what with the 4th and all. Anyway, up front I'm not real good at articulating my thoughts. The lack of high school, where such ideas are taught. I'm self educated. . .

I use a calculator or on the computer as much as by "hand". Have since HP came out with RPN devices in the '70s. I don't object to electronic devices as such. Nor do I use a look-up (trig) table much. What I object to is people punching keys without having any idea of the answer they're looking for. I have slide rules. . . but haven't used one for years. And guages, and protractors, and Autocad, and lots of other goodies. A good "machinist's" protractor that has a lens. With careful use, it will allow reading partial degrees.

Learning "solid" trig for navigation, plane trig is a piece of cake. And why learn navigation when I was an electrician? Because it interested me, not that I would ever need it. Although it came in handy when I took an interest in "Bucky balls".

The whole point to the original thought was to remind folks that the mindless punching of keys is the cause of society in general falling behind. Garbage in, garbage out. GIGO. . . Know the answer you're looking for, within a few degrees. It's human nature to make mistakes, the fellow who doesn't make mistakes isn't doing (making) anything. Let's keep the mistakes down to appearance rather than function.

Well, it seems my computer will let me in again. I didn't expect it till Monday, what with the 4th and all. Anyway, up front I'm not real good at articulating my thoughts. The lack of high school, where such ideas are taught. I'm self educated. . .

I use a calculator or on the computer as much as by "hand". Have since HP came out with RPN devices in the '70s. I don't object to electronic devices as such. Nor do I use a look-up (trig) table much. What I object to is people punching keys without having any idea of the answer they're looking for. I have slide rules. . . but haven't used one for years. And guages, and protractors, and Autocad, and lots of other goodies. A good "machinist's" protractor that has a lens. With careful use, it will allow reading partial degrees.

Learning "solid" trig for navigation, plane trig is a piece of cake. And why learn navigation when I was an electrician? Because it interested me, not that I would ever need it. Although it came in handy when I took an interest in "Bucky balls".

The whole point to the original thought was to remind folks that the mindless punching of keys is the cause of society in general falling behind. Garbage in, garbage out. GIGO. . . Know the answer you're looking for, within a few degrees. It's human nature to make mistakes, the fellow who doesn't make mistakes isn't doing (making) anything. Let's keep the mistakes down to appearance rather than function.

In a similar vein, my father (grade six education retired as a road engineer) would not permit me the use of a calculator in high school. Said that I needed to learn how math worked.
Physics 12 without a calculator was brutal. But my math skills were top-drawer.
Note “were”, now I don’t use them as much and they have deteriorated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wowsers! That's one beaudaceous chunk of metal. Obviously, some kind of fixture plate ... material might well be "mic-6" tooling plate. Hope you find a most wonderful use for it.

Probably will be stuck in corner until I say why the hell did I buy this. 2 3/8” thick. Heavier than I thought it would be. Also picked up aloris qctp and 5 holders. Retired my Dorian for awhile. AXA.

My drill press came with a smaller plate. All mine are threaded holes, so I installed grub/set screws in all the holes to make cleanup simpler. I can easily find a hole to use for hold down bolts.

Attachments

• photo 2 (2).jpg
    photo 2 (2).jpg
    622 KB · Views: 61
needed 2 sizes of brass tubing 6" long, could only buy 12' lengths

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_104036.jpg
    IMG_20200709_104036.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
Scooped up this Speedaire 2 hp compressor for $80. I have a small, portable compressor but I wanted something a bit bigger to run the odd air tool here and there.
Needs a bit of a clean up but it's in excellent condition. Zero water in the tank.compressor.jpg

Last edited:
Back