What Did You Buy Today?

I took mine off as well. Actually couldn't even figure out to use the mill with the plastic door in place. Mine seemed to actually prevent usage of the mill. Removing the shield means I have to be extra careful in use. There have been several times when I had wished the shield was in place, if for nothing else, to contain flying chips. I need to make a shield attachment for my vise that doesn't get in the way as well as one for the table when work is clamped to the table. I've seen lots of examples here on HM, just have to make them.

Safety features should help us. They are a good thing to have. They should encourage safe practices without making our work difficult.

My mini-mill came with a stiff plastic chip shield, which was also a pain to use. It would frequently interfere with the table, workpiece, or vise. I replaced it with a similarly sized piece of thick clear vinyl, supported by an aluminum bar on its top edge. It's survived hot chips, cutting lubricants, etc. for something like 5 years now. Nicely bends out of the way when something pushes on it, and does a good job stopping the flying whatever. Perhaps this'll give you a path forward to your own solution.
kHPIM2220.jpg

Picked up a 16.5” floor standing Delta drill press. This is the model with the idler pulley so speed can go down to 250 rpm. Came with an X/Y vise.
Completely covered in grime but very sound machine.
05bb4c79cf3fd3608617fbe5b2c4e5a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the same model new for my workplace. The speed range is indeed nice but for some reason ours seems really noisy for a drill press. That one looks to be in great shape :encourage:

-frank

I bought the same model new for my workplace. The speed range is indeed nice but for some reason ours seems really noisy for a drill press. That one looks to be in great shape :encourage:

-frank

I hemmed and hawed a bit but it was really solid. I really regret trading my press like yours and have been looking for another press for a while now.
This one is pretty quiet, but I’m going to go through it and will likely replace bearings as there is a bit of grumbling sound from the spindle.

Have the same drill press too, bought it 20 years ago. Not particularly quiet, but my big beef is the belts slipping. Have tried new belts to no avail, often drive a wedge between the motor and housing to get them tight enough.
Greg

i got this Geometric die head and some useful thread size dies. I tried it out today, and wow, it really works great.
this is a 1/2-13 thread, just does this so fast! If you look closely, you may be able to see where i first threaded with a loose setting and then overthreaded with tighter thread. It rethreads perfectly, so you can adjust the fit from tight to loose to fit a nut. Once you like the fit, it can be locked in.

Given that I have the right thread chasers, and i have a few choices between #10 and 1/2”, this will be faster and better looking than single point threading.

20F7956E-E1F1-440F-A0B4-081F496EC61B.jpeg

Have the same drill press too, bought it 20 years ago. Not particularly quiet, but my big beef is the belts slipping. Have tried new belts to no avail, often drive a wedge between the motor and housing to get them tight enough.
Greg

I’ll probably throw a new set of belts on it for good measure.

I received the 15, 1/4" mills today, also got a 3/8"mill, a 1/8" mill and what looks like a 1/16" mill and what looks like a micro mill. The extra mills I got from Dixon are sealed in a vacuum package and I didn't want to open it to measure the small items that came with the primary order.

Thanks again for turning us onto the 1/4" Mills for $1.00 each plus shipping.

Back