What Did You Buy Today?

A couple of years ago, I bought an old, well used pallet jack... I didn't know how much I would actually use it, so I didn't want to spend a lot, and opted for a very cheap used one.

Last week, I was moving my mill (@2200 lbs), and the jack would only stay up long enough to roll the mill 3-4 feet before it bled down.

So today I drove over to Northern Tool and bought a new 5500 lb pallet jack...

20201023_122128.jpg

They are regularly $315, but they are currently on sale for $285.

-Bear

don't think I posted this on here, but I got an old South Bend 9 New Model (1929?) project in pieces for $400. It'll definitely be a learning experience but I'm really looking forward to using a bigger lathe (and QCGB!) compared with my Atlas 618.
IMG_9777.JPG
IMG_9778.JPG
IMG_9779.JPG
IMG_9780.JPG
IMG_9781.JPG
IMG_9782.JPG

so far done the chuck, leadscrew and apron worm. Working on the rest of the apron this weekend.

don't think I posted this on here, but I got an old South Bend 9 New Model (1929?) project in pieces for $400. It'll definitely be a learning experience but I'm really looking forward to using a bigger lathe (and QCGB!) compared with my Atlas 618.
View attachment 341585
View attachment 341586
View attachment 341587
View attachment 341588
View attachment 341589
View attachment 341590

so far done the chuck, leadscrew and apron worm. Working on the rest of the apron this weekend.

This will keep you busy for a couple of days.

Another E-bay score. J.H. Williams 1" drive ratchet. I have been trying to score a Snap On one but didn't feel like taking out a mortgage to pay for it. I got the Williams for $50 bucks.
GOPR4412.JPG

Well, bought them on the Flea for a nickle.98 a few days ago, but they showed up today. A nice old Dietzgen made in USA drafting set. As a retired full time IT guy, I just about can't stand to turn a computer on anymore. And my 'drafting' so far is more brainstorming shapes and sizes for this little project or the other. I guess if I get more serious than our choppers and 4x4s and kids toys I'll have to turn on the workstation and learn a CAD.

View attachment 341301

Nice set. By the looks I would say it was an old german Richter set (if not for the nameplate)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the set. Reminds me of the set I inherited from my Dad. He used this drawing set when in engineering school ca. 1950. It's a Keuffel & Esser Co. "Mercury". Seems Dad must of been in a hurry the last time he inked, as there's still some ink on the pens!
PXL_20201025_174932285 ke.jpg

Well, bought them on the Flea for a nickle.98 a few days ago, but they showed up today. A nice old Dietzgen made in USA drafting set. As a retired full time IT guy, I just about can't stand to turn a computer on anymore. And my 'drafting' so far is more brainstorming shapes and sizes for this little project or the other. I guess if I get more serious than our choppers and 4x4s and kids toys I'll have to turn on the workstation and learn a CAD.

View attachment 341301

That is similar to the set I got from my dad. Only his was made by Lenox. Sadly the case is starting to fall apart. Especially around one of the snaps. I used it for many years before electronic drawing programs became available to me. I enjoyed the drafting/design work I did, but must admit that much easier to do electronic and don't have to worry about corrections.

I bought a tailstock chuck. Seems like this would be useful at times. I got it on eBay, made in India. I thought, how bad can it be?
Actually it looks pretty good, nice ground surfaces, pretty clean and dejunked. Interesting that the runout was good on the chuck body, less than 0.003" and terrible on anything held in the jaws, like 0.030" or maybe worse, I was in shock and don't quite remember. On inspection, one jaw was marked 1 and 3, another jaw was just 1, and the last was marked 2. That was unusual. Worse, unfortunately, to get the jaws to close properly, jaw 1/3 had to go into slot 1, jaw 2 into slot 2, and jaw 1 into slot 3! Took a few minutes to figure that out. After that, the runout dropped to about 0.006", probably good enough for a tailstock chuck. There is a lot of axial misalignment that produces wobble, but for the intended use, since the work will be aligned by the headstock setup, that's probably OK.

Of course I had to take it completely apart, deburr and file a little bit to get the jaws to slide sort of like they should.

The bearing is good, very smooth, no movement, so I hope that will work when I start turning something. Overall, it's about the minimum acceptable product. I can't be too critical for a $75 purchase including shipping from India.

SView attachment 341285

I've got a 3/4"-16 to MT2 adaptor which allows me to use my Sherline chucks in the tail stock of my larger lathe. I haven't but I can if the need arises. ;)

Back