What Did You Buy Today?

Good deal on this helmet on IOC.
e965405a88c8e73feb59662d4e40bad3.jpg

My 11 year old wanted to be the first to try it on...

d77b8bae515128bbbdb0b4bd089f020d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal on this helmet on IOC.
e965405a88c8e73feb59662d4e40bad3.jpg

My 11 year old wanted to be the first to try it on...

d77b8bae515128bbbdb0b4bd089f020d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the same helmet. It's awesome. It replaced a 15 yr, or so, old Jackson.

4" 4-jaw chuck from LMS to compliment my 3-jaw chuck for my mini-lathe. It looks to be well made and has the backing plate to match my spindle.

Now, I need to learn how to adjust the independent jaws for minimal runout.

Quick question: are the jaws interchangeable? Or, are they like a 3-jaw chuck and can only go in a certain spot in a specific order?

IMG_5663.jpg

4" 4-jaw chuck from LMS to compliment my 3-jaw chuck for my mini-lathe. It looks to be well made and has the backing plate to match my spindle.

Now, I need to learn how to adjust the independent jaws for minimal runout.

Quick question: are the jaws interchangeable? Or, are they like a 3-jaw chuck and can only go in a certain spot in a specific order?

View attachment 342017
I'm not sure about the jaws having to be in the same position. I remember watching a Joe Pie video on 3-jaw chucks, and I believe he said it mattered that the jaws stayed in sequential order. Meaning as long as you know which jaws are 1, 2 & 3, jaw #1 could go into any of the slots. What mattered was that jaw's 2 and 3 followed in sequential order. I should think the same would apply to a 4-jaw, and I'm curious what our more experienced folks have to say. My jaws and chuck are stamped so I keep them in their marked positions.

I'm curious what our more experienced folks have to say. My jaws and chuck are stamped so I keep them in their marked positions.
My very limited experience is that they do wear and like staying with their mate.
Many 'tuts on dialing them in, make/get yourself a second tee handle, makes a huge difference. The two keys help so you can loosen then tighten with both hands.
  1. You use the rings to get close.
  2. Mount the indicator on the back side at about 2' o'clock so you can reach the near and far jaws with both hands.
  3. Find the mid-point between high/low and center the indicator.
  4. Rotate the chuck until the #1 jaw is in alignment with the indicator.
  5. Note the reading and rotate the from #1 on dial to #3 on dial and note the reading.
  6. Start splitting the difference between 1 & 3 till is is zero using the two keys to loosen one then tighten the other.
    1. Try not to over tighten, but don't let the work fall out of the chuck :eek: Don't ask.
    2. As you get close you may need to loosen the one you just tightened for a little slack.
  7. Now split the difference between 2 & 4.
An ordinary empty soup can will work great for practice.
When you want to practice threading, use 3/4" PVC and thread to match a propane torch thread. Just convenient sizes.

Asks lot of questions here. People are very nice and willing to share.

Ron

Back