What Did You Buy Today?

Not a new purchase , but found down in the other house . Couple of insert tools and indicators . Add em' to the pile ! :grin:

What size shank are those TCMT holders Dave?

What size shank are those TCMT holders Dave?
Not sure Dave . I just save them but most likely they'll never see use here . Boring bars or turning holders ?

Not sure Dave . I just save them but most likely they'll never see use here . Boring bars or turning holders ?

1/2” left and right turning holders would be ideal.

Well yeah , I have a few . Being I took the last 2 nights off having a toof issue I figured I could spend some time down the other place . I think I have double and triples of everything . I'm in between the Raven's game and the basement , but these are not advertized at the minute . Tell me what you need or want on a pm if you need something . I have a dump run planned for this Monday . Lots up scrap going out . I'm going to load up a box of small stock for our resident expert ( Cab ) and get it down his way . The junk is always here , just a matter of time to get to it .

Yes, I understand their "function" but what do hobby machinists use them for that a decent marble slab can't be used?

I doubt it makes any difference for most home shops, but I wouldn't know where to find a marble slab, and this was the real deal, close by, in a size I like, and already had the cart so it made for an easy choice.

There are times, and I'm not saying this necessarily is one, that an inexperienced person (me) will be better off with something that's more precise because I'm not experienced enough to account for subtle things the way a pro can. It's sort of like the saying that a good machinist can make better parts with a worn machine than an inexperienced person can with a perfect machine. At the very least in this case I know I can't blame the surface if I get bad numbers :)

I doubt it makes any difference for most home shops, but I wouldn't know where to find a marble slab, and this was the real deal, close by, in a size I like, and already had the cart so it made for an easy choice.

There are times, and I'm not saying this necessarily is one, that an inexperienced person (me) will be better off with something that's more precise because I'm not experienced enough to account for subtle things the way a pro can. It's sort of like the saying that a good machinist can make better parts with a worn machine than an inexperienced person can with a perfect machine. At the very least in this case I know I can't blame the surface if I get bad numbers :)
I'm not knocking your purchase. I almost bought one, myself, a few months ago. Then I thought, "why do I need it" and I couldn't think of a reason.
I have WAY too much stuff just for the cool factor (anyone need a hole gauge set?).
I have a one car garage that hasn't had a car in it in the 14 years I've lived here. I used to keep my motorcycle (and a spare) in the garage but now, with my lathe, kiln, bolt bin organizers, tool boxes, engines, cherry picker, CNC Machine build, etc, I just couldn't see buying one. My spare bedrooms aren't exactly empty either.

As for where to get a marble slab, any marble/granite countertop place will have remnants. I just take the one I have and put it on top of the chest freezer, AKA my workbench, and lean it up against the freezer when I'm not using it.

A side note, most of my "extra" stuff was supposed to be present at the Annual Portland Swap Meet last April but good ol Covid stopped that from happening.

There are a bunch of things I need more, but I just couldn't pass this up. 24 x 24 x 8" Starrett grade A surface plate on a cart with a current calibration and not a mark on it anywhere. It was at a local auction just 25 minutes away and the majority of the stuff was less than five years old. I've seen surface plates locally, but more often than not they're too big or priced ridiculously....this was $300, so not a steal, but seemed fair.
I'd count that as a steal! Need a crane to lift it?

Saw a lathe cross slide DRO install video with someone using a tap wrench with the T-handle removed driving it with a 3/8" extension and ratchet. HAD to have one. Also, conduit, boxes, switches, receptacles, and plugs. Oh, some grease, oil, and an oil can too.

I bought one of these vice stops. Great price, wasn't expecting much (for my tormach, so small would be good) It's actually very nice but heavy and pretty massive! If you have a big mill...this thing is for you! I don't even really have a purpose now...maybe a cool paperweight?
Work Stop
stop.jpg

Back