What Did You Buy Today?

I'd count that as a steal! Need a crane to lift it?
Haha....yes! I checked the website and it's listed as 300lbs or maybe 330lbs....can't recall.

I brought my cheapie HF 2-ton cherry picker with me. When I backed my truck into the building the guy coordinating removals had sort of an odd look on his face, but chuckled when I opened up the tailgate and he saw the crane folded up in the back (have a cap on the truck). I said "you have many people show up with a crane?" and he said "nope, that's a first for me"...lol.

I set up the crane and then used two lifting straps to make a basket under the plate....lifted it off the cart and set it down in the bed on a moving blanket and covered it with the rest of the blanket. The guy was like "wow, that was pretty painless!"....worked perfectly.

I fool around with blacksmithing and restoring old bench vises, and now I won't lift anything by hand if it's heavier than about 100 pounds...not worth it!

An opportunity buy came my way over a year ago to get this MSC branded 1988 6x12 surface grinder and I finally picked it up. Hasn't been used much in the 20 years the PO had it so hoping there's a decent enough machine under the grime. Mag chuck is small but a suburban tool brand and alone probably worth what I paid for the whole machine. Came with a stand that will need to be replaced, but good enough until the grinder gets restored. Looks like 2021 is starting out with another project...
IMG_1764.JPGIMG_1765.JPG

This arrived today.
3f88f37e4dc30ea00f9e0b1841f5fd7f.jpg

I bought one of these vice stops. Great price, wasn't expecting much (for my tormach, so small would be good) It's actually very nice but heavy and pretty massive! If you have a big mill...this thing is for you! I don't even really have a purpose now...maybe a cool paperweight?
Work Stop
View attachment 351502

I don’t know about yours but I also ordered one last year and quality wise it is just garbage. But it works and since I do not have anything better I use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3" screw less vise from Little Machine Shop. Was a blem, but it looks pretty nice to me. Couple of tiny dings on it if I look close. Did my first mod on it by replacing the screw for a slightly longer one. Seems to adjust fairly easily. Hope to put it to good use soon. First project is to make some hold downs for it! I didn't buy the hold downs, because I wanted to make them.
PXL_20210118_191018052.jpg
What are the M6 tapped holes for? You can see one of them on the fixed jaw. There's another on the opposite face. To clamp a vise stop?

3" screw less vise from Little Machine Shop. Was a blem, but it looks pretty nice to me. Couple of tiny dings on it if I look close. Did my first mod on it by replacing the screw for a slightly longer one. Seems to adjust fairly easily. Hope to put it to good use soon. First project is to make some hold downs for it! I didn't buy the hold downs, because I wanted to make them.
View attachment 351651
What are the M6 tapped holes for? You can see one of them on the fixed jaw. There's another on the opposite face. To clamp a vise stop?
I got the same vise, those holes are for a vise stop.

That's what I use 'em for. The ones on my vise are threaded 5/16".

I had that in my shopping cart forever. Just never pulled the trigger. When I saw you got one, I though it was time. Really wanted to get it at the discounted price. Kind of got a little crazy, bought a small set of squares, and an ER32 chuck for my lathe. Still waiting on the chuck. Now I need ER32 collets... And down the rabbit hole I go...

Back