What Did You Buy Today?

Last week I upped my measuring game with these:

caliper.jpg

dti.jpg

The calipers feel so smooth compared to my "everyday" Fowler's.

The Fowler's have been a work-horse for me for many years, but lately are feeling a little gritty, even after a good cleaning....

-brino

It's very different. It focuses more on machines, how they are used and not on specifications etc.
The Machinist Handbook is like an encyclopedia of all things you might need to know about machining. For the home shop user you don't need a current edition. Buy used. The index is good. I bought the 29th? edition serval years ago when it was on sale 20% off. If you buy one be sure to get the "large print" edition. The print in it is plenty small enough. It is a huge book, 3,000? pages. The paper is very thin and not exactly high quality. It has been worth having. Great shop math section, geometry, trig, formulas. Materials, speeds & feeds, fasteners, heat treat, threads, casting, on & on....

Last week I upped my measuring game with these:
Can't beat 'em brino . Now all's you're missing is a pair of their .00005 Millimess drop indicators . :big grin:

Yes, I understand their "function" but what do hobby machinists use them for that a decent marble slab can't be used?

The marble plate found at stone shops is simply not flat enough.

I got from a friend a polished granite kitchen countertop cutout thinking it would be good enough in the home shop.

Indicated it and threw it away immediately. It was just that bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@brino

I'm curious about that indicator. I know Mahr is a long standing and respected name in metrology.
I expected to see a "Made in Germany" on the dial face which leads to my question. Are you convinced that the indicator is built in Germany (or Switzerland) or do you suspect "global sources"?

Bulgaria last time I checked .

I'm curious about that indicator. I know Mahr is a long standing and respected name in metrology.
I expected to see a "Made in Germany" on the dial face which leads to my question. Are you convinced that the indicator is built in Germany (or Switzerland) or do you suspect "global sources"?

Absolutely valid question/concern in today's market!

The DTI says it was made in Germany.........although it is just a sticker.....
dti2.jpg

The calipers, are a different story:
caliper2.jpg

However they were only CAD $95 (USD $75) and feel fantastic in use!
Also, they test very well against my gauge blocks.

-brino

Some flea mkt finds from today. Enco mag base for indicator & wood box, Enco jacks, in boxes. machinist made 123 blocks, Helios radius gauge set, a very heavy duty C clamp, and a chain wrench. Unlike the last chain wrench I bought, this one made it back home with me. The last one tore thru the bag and fell out on the way back to the car, lol. Edit* forgot about the endmills, $10. for 10. most that I chose were double end.

Attachments

• flea mkt find.jpg
    flea mkt find.jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back