What Did You Buy Today?

I looked at larger dial or digital calipers, but they would have been too expensive. I'm not really interested in buying lower quality measuring tools

100% agreed!
Quality over gadgetry, especially on more seldom-used equipment.
Your batteries won't be dead every time you need it!
-brino

A very large first aid cabinet. I've left a trail of blood from the shop to the house three times this year... so when I mashed my wrist across the small end of a very sharp-threaded and burred bolt last week, I immediately ordered this. Now, hopefully, I can patch myself up and go back to work without freaking out my wife!
81o5nXXAX8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A very large first aid cabinet. I've left a trail of blood from the shop to the house three times this year... so when I mashed my wrist across the small end of a very sharp-threaded and burred bolt last week, I immediately ordered this. Now, hopefully, I can patch myself up and go back to work without freaking out my wife!
View attachment 362076

Glad you're ok. My wife was not amused when I bandaged myself and kept going. It might have been due to using a paper towel and duct tape to do it... :)

I just picked up 10 lbs. of 1/8” as well as 10 lbs. of 5/32” Lincoln Excalibur 7018 MR. These are all position except vertical down. My best guess is that MR stands for “moisture resisting”. They also offer MR-1 for improved impact resistance at lower temperatures (i.e. colder climates).

20 lbs. of rod, tax + delivery came to $123.07 from torchking on eBay.

The max amperage for the 5/32” Excalibur is 210A, and both my machines only go up to 210A. Hence, 5/32” is the largest diameter electrode that I can run on my machines.

Excalibur runs VERY nicely! I see that one can run Excalibur on AC; I will run them on DCEP.

4D9F4B0A-5067-41D5-BD3A-ADC1624014CD.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a vice off ebay for 32$ total cleaned up pretty good i would say. I also bought a 2" dial indicator and a reamer index case. Last but not least a new box to put those gage blocks in that i posted earlier. The seller refunded 17$ for the mishap. She was very rude but i was taught to be humble so i just let it go.
698EF013-0239-40CE-BDB1-71EE6189BCE0.jpeg80DF5C80-6FED-411F-9077-97DA711169FA.jpeg119088B5-4DBA-4EFB-AEDD-B0240F631408.jpeg

has anyone seen a vice like that before?
I have not, but it’s a clever design. The moving jaw slides on the outer rails, the dog in the centre drops into position anywhere along the way, and then pressure is applied via the sliding rack in the centre. Kind of like the quick acting vise on my Keller power hacksaw but a little more sophisticated. Could make for an interesting project to build one...

-frank

The Carolina metal bandsaw has a somewhat similar setup. Super convient, you just need to tighten or loosen the screw a little, the rest is done by moving the vise side.

carolinahd10bandsaw.jpg

Back