What Did You Buy Today?

They still have some at CMP. Not as many as there use to be. Here is the link to the CMP Member Market Place in case you are interested. Then there is also the CMP Auctions, but they get pretty pricey for my blood, but a go there to look anyway.

I still shoot it but not very often. I have been putting together items that would have been worn into battle by a soldier in 1943. Took a while to find the right bayonet and scabbard. One thing I haven't found is the correct sling. The one I need is highly sought after. Last one I lost in auction went for over $300. But I still am looking with high hopes. One piece at a time.

I really want to create a nice display for the M1 and the accessories when I retire. I have seen some amazing displays that people have put together.
I wonder how those 80,000 plus Garands form the Phillipines are coming out. Those should be available soon I would think.

I wonder how those 80,000 plus Garands form the Phillipines are coming out. Those should be available soon I would think.

They have been working through those for a couple of years now. There are no Rack, Field or Special grades available, but there are still some Service Grade M1's available. I am negotiating for a 1947 Winchester 94 Flat Band right now. The wife would use one of them on me if I bought another M1. The Flat Band is in such perfect condition, I just can't pass it up and it replaces the one I had to sell for medical bills back when we were first married.

Got these in the mail today. I need to make a couple of oddball oil wicks for a shuttle race and they want to be fairly stiff so my little stash of craft felt wasn’t going to do it. I found this place that sells sample packs and decided to spring for some. You get three 3” x 3” squares in 1/8”, 1/4”, and 1/2” thicknesses per pack in whatever grade you specify. I ordered an F5 and an F10 to compare the differences. I think they’re both 95% or better wool content. And then the colour pack of designer samples because, well, just because ;) Pretty quick shipping too, just over a week including the four-day Easter weekend.

-frank
123DA0F4-FDCE-49CE-94D2-EBA57215DBFE.jpeg

Got these in the mail today. I need to make a couple of oddball oil wicks for a shuttle race and they want to be fairly stiff so my little stash of craft felt wasn’t going to do it. I found this place that sells sample packs and decided to spring for some. You get three 3” x 3” squares in 1/8”, 1/4”, and 1/2” thicknesses per pack in whatever grade you specify. I ordered an F5 and an F10 to compare the differences. I think they’re both 95% or better wool content. And then the colour pack of designer samples because, well, just because ;) Pretty quick shipping too, just over a week including the four-day Easter weekend.

-frank
View attachment 361915

I have had a need for something like this several times but could find no resource for it until now. Thanks the picture tell all.

Vermont Gage 0.2510" - 0.5000" ZZ Minus Black Guard Pin Gage Set. I've been wanting/needing one of these for a while and I finally pulled the trigger. Next will be the smaller set: 0.0110" - 0.2500". I bought this from Travers off eBay. Strange how they have better prices on eBay than their website.

It was tempting to go for a Chinese set, but I've read they tend to rust although they are accurate. Cry once!

IMG_5760.jpg
IMG_5761.jpg

I got a decent Lufkin dial indicator the other day via eBay. The range is 0.075" in 0.0005" increments. Good for checking parallels for parallelism on a surface plate (among other things). I took this shot after polishing the crystal with Novus #3; then #2 plastic polish.

DSC04555.JPG

@devils4ever

Nice set of gauges. I use some individual Vermonts for sizing the neck on my competition cartridges, I also have a set of the Asian pins and both the Vermont and the Asian pins seem to be of similar quality. Had it for a while now, the pins look like they did when I received them. So far I am very pleased with them, but would have liked to have the Vermont set in its stead, if for no other reason than they are made in USA.

I am looking to acquire the smaller set also. I know I would use the 0.061"-0.250" set, but wonder if I would really use the 0.011"-0.060" set enough to justify.

A whole bunch of evilBay items came in today. I'm a bit too tired to get photos of all of them, but these Mitutoyo 13" vernier calipers are probably my favorite item:

PXL_20210409_003430444.jpg

Up until this point, the largest measuring tool I had were my 6" Mitutoyo Digimatics. That's been okay, but I've had a need for something larger several times now. I looked at larger dial or digital calipers, but they would have been too expensive. I'm not really interested in buying lower quality measuring tools (I have a 1-2" mic that has betrayed my trust one too many times), so I decided to go old school.

I'm really happy with these. They're pretty smooth and look like they were well taken care of. I haven't had a chance to check their accuracy yet, but they don't look overly worn to me.

Attachments

• PXL_20210409_003438585.jpg
    PXL_20210409_003438585.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
Back