What Did You Buy Today?

Totally not related to machining but I had to have it. One of my good friend's father-in-law is a pack rat, but he has now decided to start getting rid of stuff. While snooping around his shed I found about 20 of these. They are Navy training shells. 3"/50 is what they call them. So it would be "three inch fifty cal". This means that the barrel of the gun is 50 times the caliber, so it would be about 150 inches long. I paid $60 for this. Since I am somewhat of a history nut it will go in my office.
This is the same guy that has the metal shaper, which I decided not to buy so now he drug it outside to sit in the rain... :mad:
20210405_185020.jpg20210405_185035.jpg20210405_185100.jpg20210405_185118.jpg

"Fixing it" is just about the first thing I do to any tool or gadget, even brand new.
Well good, I'm glad it's not just me.
I just tore into a practically new VideoJet laser engraver just to be sure everything looked ok. Before applying power.
Now I just have to find software for it. I'd rather not gut it to install an open-source controller if I don't have to.Videojet 3020.jpg

I have the CXA size lathe also. Don't be afraid of Shars tool holders. I have several and they work just fine for me.

All of my AXA tool holders (for my 10” lathe) are from mainland China, and I have never had a problem.

I would have saved thousands of dollars if I would have bought Chinese CXA tool holders rather than Aloris.

Well not bought today, but an ongoing project.
It's an ex-Boeing optical-triangulation CMM. (yay Boeing surplus!) 24" dia. x 36" high measurement volume.
I got a quote for the software from the OEM some time before they folded.
More than 20X what I paid for it.
I politely said I'd rather reverse-engineer the thing. And SWMBO wouldn't have approved.
Got the motion controls sorted, still working on getting the laser measurement head to spit out numbers.
IMG_20150517_015802.jpg

Totally not related to machining but I had to have it. One of my good friend's father-in-law is a pack rat, but he has now decided to start getting rid of stuff. While snooping around his shed I found about 20 of these. They are Navy training shells. 3"/50 is what they call them. So it would be "three inch fifty cal". This means that the barrel of the gun is 50 times the caliber, so it would be about 150 inches long. I paid $60 for this. Since I am somewhat of a history nut it will go in my office.
This is the same guy that has the metal shaper, which I decided not to buy so now he drug it outside to sit in the rain... :mad:
View attachment 361846View attachment 361847View attachment 361848View attachment 361849

Very cool, I also am a military history fan. I have my M1 Garand from 1943. It is one that produced by Winchester and one of a lot of 30k that ended up with duplicate SN's with Springfield. I have collected many of the accessories for it including several practice grenades and the launcher. All of the correct time frame. The holy grail would be to find the Springfield brother with the same SN. Probably in someones closet or maybe buried in Europe or the Pacific. I may never know.

Edit: Just in case one of you might of my M1's brother, SN 1,359,28X.

Would love to come across one of these practice shells to add to the display. Great find, congrats.

Last edited:
Very cool, I also am a military history fan. I have my M1 Garand from 1943. It is one that produced by Winchester and one of a lot of 30k that ended up with duplicate SN's with Springfield. I have collected many of the accessories for it including several practice grenades and the launcher. All of the correct time frame. The holy grail would be to find the Springfield brother with the same SN. Probably in someones closet or maybe buried in Europe or the Pacific. I may never know.

Would love to come across one of these practice shells to add to the display. Great find, congrats.
Love the Garand. I had a Springfield I bought from CMP. Lost it in the fire.
That one hurt.
Mr. Garand did a beautiful job on the design. It's a pleasure to own one.
Maybe some day I'll find another.

Love the Garand. I had a Springfield I bought from CMP. Lost it in the fire.
That one hurt.
Mr. Garand did a beautiful job on the design. It's a pleasure to own one.
Maybe some day I'll find another.

They still have some at CMP. Not as many as there use to be. Here is the link to the CMP Member Market Place in case you are interested. Then there is also the CMP Auctions, but they get pretty pricey for my blood, but a go there to look anyway.

I still shoot it but not very often. I have been putting together items that would have been worn into battle by a soldier in 1943. Took a while to find the right bayonet and scabbard. One thing I haven't found is the correct sling. The one I need is highly sought after. Last one I lost in auction went for over $300. But I still am looking with high hopes. One piece at a time.

I really want to create a nice display for the M1 and the accessories when I retire. I have seen some amazing displays that people have put together.

Back