What Did You Buy Today?

Dave,
What is the attraction? I mean, it's an old school lawn tractor right?
I'm CCSuperMan over on the Cadet site and have restored 100s of tractors over the years . Most were the larger 1872s and 2072s . My tractors are all over the east coast ! :encourage: The guy I bought this one from messaged me this morning and told me his boss got his 1862 from me years back . Finrusk on our site has quite a few IHs also , he can explain the attraction also . It has to do with the tractors being " Old Iron ", which I'm a big fan of ! :big grin:

Starrett Adjustable Parallel set.

View attachment 365060
Those are nice. Forgive the unknowledgeable question, but what are these typically used for? Does it go in your vise along with an ordinary parallel to adjust for a workpiece feature? Can you tap it with a dead blow hammer to seat the part feature against it? Or will it move as a result of "the tap"? I'm such a beginner, I've never seen them used.

No, they are primarily used for precise measurement. You open it in a slot, tighten it, and use your outside mic or calipers to measure.

Right from Starrett:

The Starrett Adjustable Parallel provides a wide range of use in layout, gaging, inspection work and for setups on various machine tools. Its adjustable feature makes it possible to adjust it to exact size by micrometer measurement and also permits use in place of several solid-type parallels. The parallel is useful as a gage in checking the size of slots and openings. It is also convenient for use in machine vises, for leveling or adjusting work on setups of milling and grinding machines, shapers, planers, drill presses and for many other applications. The parallel slides smoothly and can be easily adjusted.

Right from Starrett:

The Starrett Adjustable Parallel provides a wide range of use in layout, gaging, inspection work and for setups on various machine tools. Its adjustable feature makes it possible to adjust it to exact size by micrometer measurement and also permits use in place of several solid-type parallels. The parallel is useful as a gage in checking the size of slots and openings. It is also convenient for use in machine vises, for leveling or adjusting work on setups of milling and grinding machines, shapers, planers, drill presses and for many other applications. The parallel slides smoothly and can be easily adjusted.
There a thousand uses for these things and I don't even know what I'm doing.
You know when you have a part in the vise on one side and you want to balance out the load on the jaws?
Well, you just put these babies in there ----I'm kidding.
Mostly measuring where you can't get a micrometer in to the space to be measured or helping to indicate a part in.

I'm currently building a tool rest for my belt grinder. I plan on putting a slot in it for various jigs/fixtures. With the adjustable parallels, I can accurately measure the width and make a matching bar to go in it.

Back