What Did You Buy Today?

Aukai, same on mine. I have two of the Reilang oil cans and the flat washers didn't last long and I went to a a heavier O-Ring. I use one for the ball oilers, and the other has cutting oil. Only oil can I found that works in any position, provide high pressure and doesn't leak all over you.

Side note...I am pretty sure everything I have ordered for my new machines causes cancer in California. That place must be dangerous...

It sure is, don't ever come here. Not only cause it's dangerous but because you can't buy any of the good stuff, it's all banned. With all the things I've bought that causes cancer only here in Cali & for so long, I think I may have had cancer like 6 times already but I'm still alive . :big grin:

(ok, gott go knock on some wood now)

I was actually just out there last month on vacation. Gorgeous place. This time I was down south in San Diego, La Jolla area.

Oh, and BTW, not ALL the good stuff is banned! ;)
It sure is, don't ever come here. Not only cause it's dangerous but because you can't buy any of the good stuff, it's all banned. With all the things I've bought that causes cancer only here in Cali & for so long, I think I may have had cancer like 6 times already but I'm still alive . :big grin:

(ok, gott go knock on some wood now)

I bought a 5C collet chuck from CDCO a while back. It's not that I haven't been able to make good parts with it, it's the poor fit up of the collets and the cam lock to the spindle.
I bought this 5C collet from Smalltoolsinc.com It's a TMX made in Poland.
I bought the, no machine, D1-6 cam lock as well.
The difference in quality is substantial. It locks up like my Bisons.
Twice the price but much less than the name brand chucks.
I'll try and sell the original I guess. It works fine, I'm just a freak.
I mounted the adapter to the chuck after a good inspection and cleaning.
The adapter locks up very nice. The cams are all pretty much within the 4:30 range and lock up smooth with no binding like I had with the Chinese chuck.
The runout with the Chinese 5C chuck (I had to machine the register between the adapter and the chuck) is about .002".
The runout with my new TMX is just over .005" at the 5C taper. I first checked runout at the 3/4" piece of tight tolerance tool steel. >.005"
There is no spec on the Smalltoolsinc. web site.
Have you had any luck trying to clock the D1-6 cams? for better results?
I've read where some guys cut the register .002-.003" loose to allow for adjustment with the 3 bolts.
Any ideas? I have emailed the tool supplier to see what they suggest.
Dang it.

Attachments

• 5C tmx 1.jpg
    5C tmx 1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 5C tmx 2.jpg
    5C tmx 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 5C TMX.jpg
    5C TMX.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
I mounted the adapter to the chuck after a good inspection and cleaning.
The adapter locks up very nice. The cams are all pretty much within the 4:30 range and lock up smooth with no binding like I had with the Chinese chuck.
The runout with the Chinese 5C chuck (I had to machine the register between the adapter and the chuck) is about .002".
The runout with my new TMX is just over .005" at the 5C taper. I first checked runout at the 3/4" piece of tight tolerance tool steel. >.005"
There is no spec on the Smalltoolsinc. web site.
Have you had any luck trying to clock the D1-6 cams? for better results?
I've read where some guys cut the register .002-.003" loose to allow for adjustment with the 3 bolts.
Any ideas? I have emailed the tool supplier to see what they suggest.
Dang it.

If I remember correctly there are six cams. Try rotating the chuck inserting the chuck into different cam mounting holes and see if it has an affect on the run out. If by clocking the chuck you find a better reading, then mark that alignment.

If I remember correctly there are six cams. Try rotating the chuck inserting the chuck into different cam mounting holes and see if it has an affect on the run out. If by clocking the chuck you find a better reading, then mark that alignment.
I haven't indicated the chuck body. If it's the same as the 5C taper then the body has to move on the adapter.
Something ain't right.

Back