What Did You Buy Today?

Well, I think I've got an either/or situation here.

Which one should I keep? I'd like to sell one off to pay for the other.

1) Darex M5 drill sharpener. One diamond wheel is missing, which runs about $200.

2) A couple Mitutoyo blade micrometers, 0-1" and 1-2". I've been keeping an eye out for these; sometimes the anvils on the full-sizers are a bit big when I'm working on small parts.

I had originally intended to sell off the Darex because I've already got a Drill Doctor (the "Pro" model, 750x I think).

It sure is nice though...

Anyone have any opinions worth sharing?
If you have all the collets for the M5 for the range of drills you intend to sharpen i would keep it rather than the Drill Doctor. The Drill Doctor is a hobby version of the M5. As such it uses plastic collets, and the case of the machine is plastic. I literally wore out a couple collets and the case on my "Classic 750" in 10 years. I was able to find some new collets, but the machine case is worn and warped to the point it's a hassle to use.

The M5 is a lower end professional model that will outlast the Drill Doctor by many years. It's much better built and uses materials that won't warp and wear under normal use. A new wheel may cost $200.00 but in all likelihood it will last you a lifetime

If you have all the collets for the M5 for the range of drills you intend to sharpen i would keep it rather than the Drill Doctor. The Drill Doctor is a hobby version of the M5. As such it uses plastic collets, and the case of the machine is plastic. I literally wore out a couple collets and the case on my "Classic 750" in 10 years. I was able to find some new collets, but the machine case is worn and warped to the point it's a hassle to use.

The M5 is a lower end professional model that will outlast the Drill Doctor by many years. It's much better built and uses materials that won't warp and wear under normal use. A new wheel may cost $200.00 but in all likelihood it will last you a lifetime
Good point re: the plastic collets/case of the Drill Doctor. Even brand new, I notice lots of flex in the case of mine when I'm sharpening bits; it's quite sensitive to how much/where I apply pressure when grinding.

The M5 does indeed have the appropriate collets: 2 collets ranging from about 1/16 to about 3/4" I think. If memory serves, that's the same range as the Drill Doctor.

The last hesitation I have is that I'm pretty limited in shop space. The Drill Doctor is nice because I just drag it out every few months to sharpen a batch of drills, then tuck it in a drawer when I'm done. While I probably could do the same with the Darex, I suspect it'll take up permanent residency on my already-cluttered workbench, as it's quite a bit larger and heavier.

Good point re: the plastic collets/case of the Drill Doctor. Even brand new, I notice lots of flex in the case of mine when I'm sharpening bits; it's quite sensitive to how much/where I apply pressure when grinding.

The M5 does indeed have the appropriate collets: 2 collets ranging from about 1/16 to about 3/4" I think. If memory serves, that's the same range as the Drill Doctor.

The last hesitation I have is that I'm pretty limited in shop space. The Drill Doctor is nice because I just drag it out every few months to sharpen a batch of drills, then tuck it in a drawer when I'm done. While I probably could do the same with the Darex, I suspect it'll take up permanent residency on my already-cluttered workbench, as it's quite a bit larger and heavier.
You can always mount it on a pedestal, 4 legged machine stand or roll around cabinet and set it in the corner until needed. As I recall the Darex we had in our shop at work was mounted on a 1/2" plate and secured to a HD grinder style pedestal. It sat in the corner until needed and was then slid from the wall for access.

My Black Diamond is on a roll around cabinet. The 750 Drill Doctor is on a shelf inside the cabinet. I still use the web thinning feature since the Black Diamond didn't come with one. The Drill Doctor is on the bottom shelf of the right hand picture

Here are a couple cheap stands from Harbor Freight that might work. I have a grinder on a 4 legged one. I put a weight on the lower shelf to keep it stable when pushing against the wheel.

This is closer to the style stand we had at the shop.

I'm not sure if the top plate is large enough for the drill grinder. If you go with this style you may have to add a larger plate.

Attachments

• DSC09987A.jpg
    DSC09987A.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC09988A.JPG
    DSC09988A.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 27
Good idea, I've got a little spot in the corner where it could probably fit on a small stand.

I like the pedestal stands small foot print... and easy to move around. But I hate the instability of just using those bolts to tighten it up... I have two of those HF bench grinder pedestal units... I am going to check the level and plan to just fill the empty space with JB-Weld...to make it a solid mount at the base.

I will look for something better next time.

I've been using the second HF stand to support my big vise that I use for welding work for the last 25 years. Only mod I did was weld the castings to the post. Works great. One could fill the lower part with weight, but the mass is always centered. It's not as solid as a plow disc, but it's pretty good considering its appearance.
So you can weld the base!? Well, easier than filling the gap with JB-Weld... Those are the two that I have... I will do the same. Thank you!

I bought a box of assorted Delrin stock, some 1-1/8" diamerter aluminum (7075 allow T651) rod, 5/8" copper round stock, assorted 12L14 steel rod stock, 12L14 Hexagon steel bar stock...

Assorted stock - 1.jpeg
Assorted Stock - 2.jpeg
Assorted Stock - 3.jpeg
Delrin assortment - 1.jpeg
Delrin Assortment - 3.jpeg

Just some material to play with when the time comes...

Back