What Did You Buy Today?

Its funny when you online shop for tool boxes and you think you have what you think is a great purchase and will do the job, everything looks good, then you go to an actual store and check them out and they are flimsy garbage boxes where the drawers only open halfway and if you breathe heavy the metal wilts.
Went in looking at one brand, came out with a totally different brand and ended up with
a really good tool chest/ trolley at a resonable price.
Took the picture near the mill for size comparison
IMG-0635.jpg
IMG-0634.jpg

Its a Trojan 16 drawer.
The drawers open out fully with rubber drawer liners, smooth ball bearing slides and click when they close.
The top lid has gas struts and easy open. compared this to the big name brand tool companies and this one won out over them for size price and functionality. it was $589 Aust size is 1520mm x 460 x 680 or 5 ft x18" x 26" 3/4.
Hopefully this should help me organize things a bit better.

A reilang oiler with aluminium pot. Needs attention to the spout, but working in all other regards. Needs a clean and then it’ll join my newer plastic bodied ones.
34A89686-B955-4392-9943-F3DAA6E2F043.jpegFA507C98-B6FF-4908-B70B-70652AB7D4BE.jpeg510585AA-D132-40AD-B76D-B1BD1A90F4BF.jpeg
stahlwille open spanners (wrenches), 8-32mm. Ex ministry of defence. They’re all marked with NSNs
1D5ED854-2A6C-4814-AB7E-52C942CC28A4.jpeg
stahwille combo wrenches/ spanners. I may be coming down with a new Germanic addiction. I draw the line at lederhosen though.
48CF53BE-7041-444F-B14D-E9DE0B3FBC7C.jpeg67175E09-EB84-4A58-A0CF-4E9C9F2F06DB.jpeg

Note to self... double check before paying for the order... Ended up getting just one carbide insert instead of the two required... Oh well... placed an order for three more to have a spare set.

IMG_2087.jpeg

IMG_2088.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of larger items added to the shop. I have a 62nd birthday coming up shortly. Picked up a 500 lbs. Harbor Freight lift table for an early present.

20210905_142240.jpg

The other item has been setting in our foyer for over 3 months. My wife and I celebrated our 30th anniversary in June. She does a crafty Christmas ornament project for family every year. Her plan this year is cutting shapes out of sheet silver, then filling in the areas cut out with powdered enamel which is then fired to melt it into glass. Our anniversary present to each other was this DeWalt scroll saw.

Last year she used silver-bearing clay. Set a paper pattern on top and mark the edges with a needle. Then remov the "windows", fire the clay to melt the silver and clean up the edges with a diamond file. I hate to think of the number of hours she has into each one of them. Hopefully the sheet silver and Dewalt will save her some time!

Bruce

20210905_142252.jpg
20210905_145513.jpg

Wife's Christmas ornaments (in process) from last year. Set the pattern on top of silver-bearing clay, mark the edges of the pattern with a pin and pull out the "windows". Fire the clay in a furnace to melt the silver. Then she filled in the windows with enamel powder and reheated them in the furnace for a stained-glass window look.
20201117_200716.jpg
20201124_140841.jpg

Bruce,

My hands are cramping just looking at the pictures of the ornaments. They are a fantastic amount of detailed work.

Are the completed clay ornaments very fragile? There is so much care and work going into them, I would like to think of them as durable family heirlooms.

Please post a picture of a completed one.

Kudos to your wife. :clapping:

Bruce,

My hands are cramping just looking at the pictures of the ornaments. They are a fantastic amount of detailed work.

Are the completed clay ornaments very fragile? There is so much care and work going into them, I would like to think of them as durable family heirlooms.

Please post a picture of a completed one.

Kudos to your wife. :clapping:
Here's a photo of one she's still working on from last year. It'll be the one going on our tree, so no rush to get it done. The finished artwork is in the bottom RH corner of the second photo. I think she's going to use paint or nail polish to do the dots on the snowman's mouth and eyes.

I think the silver melts at around 1800 F, the enamel at around 1500-1600 F. The silver doesn't go too badly though it is VERY tedious the way she does it. The paper templates were first cut out leaving behind what looks like a doily. After 30 years of marriage, I've learned to NOT tell her how to do something. I have no idea why she cut out the paper patterns. I'd have set them on the clay and poked holes through the paper into the clay.

The enameling is a ROYAL PITA. I don't get too involved, but it looks like the enamel shrinks as it cools and pulls away from the silver. She's continually trying to fill in holes with more of the powder, then hits small spots with a small torch. She is persistent! I'd probably go with an aluminum star cut on the CNC.

Bruce

Work in process. Sorry for the crappy photo. I think she has a decent one of the batch from last Christmas hanging on a window with good back lighting.
20210905_191947.jpg

20210905_192013.jpg

Grabbed a box of tools and parts on eBay. Buy it now for $89, free shipping. I'll sort through later and look at the misc pieces.

Attachments

• 20210905_181553.jpg
    20210905_181553.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 57
Back