What Did You Buy Today?

Starting some home renovations on our new house. Doing all my own trim so I spoiled myself and picked up a DeWalt DWS779, folding saw stand, and a conversion kit to turn the $400 saw into a $700 saw (DWS780) by installing a LED light and power supply :rolleyes: EDIT: The kit is all genuine DeWalt parts and costs $70 hence the rolling eyes.

Never owned any higher end name brand tools and boy am I impressed.

Funny part of the story is I ordered the saw online from Home Depot, but FedEx lost it. HD refunded me and had me purchase another in store locally. A few days later, FedEx delivered the supposedly lost saw. HD had been paid by insurance already so they told me to keep the "lost" saw. Couldn't figure out what to do with the second saw so I returned it and kept the free one :oops:. Paid for the saw stand, upgrade kit, a new fine finish trim blade, and a bunch of other home stuff. You get lucky every once in a while I guess. Don't worry, HD is making a killing on me right now.

Anyways, not really machining stuff, but we all like tools.

View attachment 385676

View attachment 385677

View attachment 385678

It's ok, I think a lot of us here also play with wood. Those Dewalt miter saws are supposed to be pretty nice. I bought a Rigid 12" miter saw about 9 years ago, I was a little worried at the time how much I'd actually use it. Turns out I had no idea what I'd been missing, it gets used more than any of my other (wood) saws.

I've been creeping back into playing with wood. I've never had a jointer but been looking for something small and cheap to give me some idea how much I will actually use one and a better idea of the size and features I would actually need. Thought I'd probably end up with a benchtop import (Grizzly, Wen etc) but this neat little Vintage Delta Homecraft deluxe 4" jointer turned up 30 minutes away for $80. Figured with that kind of investment I can't really go wrong.

Based on the serial number it was made in 1959 and is in great shape for being 62 years old. From what I'm finding the "deluxe" means it has a 3" longer table (27" vs 24") and nicer features, detents on the fence adjustment at 45, 90 and 135 degrees, machined handles vs cast etc. I think in reality this is just the older 1930s Delta jointer design carried over while the basic 4" jointer was a new cheaper to make design.

Heavy little thing, it has to weigh more than 100lbs with the stand and motor. The modern 6" bench top units weigh around 40lbs which shows the difference between all cast iron vs plastic and aluminum.

Delta Homecraft 4x27 deluxe jointer.jpg

I think I accidentally bought 700lb of welding wire for welding up nuclear reactors. I'm hoping I didn't, but won't find out until I get my invoice. That'll teach me to bid on auctions while I'm teaching my lab class!

Vintage Delta Homecraft deluxe 4" jointer
Those are nice little jointers. A friend had one a long time ago. Much better than the bench top stuff. I've had 3 jointers. 6" Powermatic that I got new, didn't like it. an 8" Powermatic I got used with a safety head. Nice jointer, still have it in storage. A 16" Crescent I got for $100 that had been sitting outside. Had the tables and fence Blanchard ground, new bearings, blades & controls, made a guard, painted, good as new. Facing a 16" plank keeps you alert!

That’s a lot of welding wire! You need to figure out how to spool off small amounts and sell them.
thankfully it looks like I didn't actually win that auction, must have been outbid while a student was asking me a question. There's some extra credit right there! It wasn't even easily useful wire - 3.2mm diameter. Can't say I'm unhappy :)

thankfully it looks like I didn't actually win that auction, must have been outbid while a student was asking me a question. There's some extra credit right there! It wasn't even easily useful wire - 3.2mm diameter. Can't say I'm unhappy :)
You lucked out!

well the application pdf included "nuclear reactor pressure vessels" in its list :) I was daydreaming on my ride home about all the different yard art sculptures I could make with 700lb of 1/8" wire!

Back