What Did You Buy Today?

This bad boy was on my porch when I got home from work today. This one comes with the machine and hand torches. It’s an upgrade for my CNC system. It’ll be another week or two before the THC arrives. Then it’s game on, I hope.
View attachment 385599

Sweet!!! Enjoy!!

That is another tool on my wish list... along with a Crossfire Pro plasma table... Right now I just have an inexpensive plasma cutter that I use freehand...

I bought a set of your standard import ER32 hex and square blocks. These are not tool steel as advertised and they are not hardened and ground. Just soft steel. I got a refund but buyer beware.
32.jpg

I bought a set of your standard import ER32 hex and square blocks. These are not tool steel as advertised and they are not hardened and ground. Just soft steel. I got a refund but buyer beware.
View attachment 385632
I had a similar problem on some 5C blocks. Not hardened, but I still use them. They were good enough for what I needed them to do, once I stoned off the burs I accidentally put into them. I just can't go on autopilot in the shop, got to be thinking all the time.

Whoa, I didn't see that.
I looked at the related products, no wrench listed??
I have a Rohm and an Albrecht I use all the time, hand tight does the trick.
I paid one hell of a lot more money though!

Yeah, I can't find any wrench on their site that is for this chuck (or any other keyless chuck for that matter) even though the fine print tells you to look online for it. Maybe they mean online online, not on Shars.com!

Well let us know how it works because it's certainly a bargain if it performs well.

View attachment 385632

Can you provide a link so we know what to avoid? I've been looking at a similar set and there are tons of "different" ones out there.

I have a similar Chuck that I got from precision Matthews it does have a spanner with it. I can take a picture if you wish when I get home.

Starting some home renovations on our new house. Doing all my own trim so I spoiled myself and picked up a DeWalt DWS779, folding saw stand, and a conversion kit to turn the $400 saw into a $700 saw (DWS780) by installing a LED light and power supply :rolleyes: EDIT: The kit is all genuine DeWalt parts and costs $70 hence the rolling eyes.

Never owned any higher end name brand tools and boy am I impressed.

Funny part of the story is I ordered the saw online from Home Depot, but FedEx lost it. HD refunded me and had me purchase another in store locally. A few days later, FedEx delivered the supposedly lost saw. HD had been paid by insurance already so they told me to keep the "lost" saw. Couldn't figure out what to do with the second saw so I returned it and kept the free one :oops:. Paid for the saw stand, upgrade kit, a new fine finish trim blade, and a bunch of other home stuff. You get lucky every once in a while I guess. Don't worry, HD is making a killing on me right now.

Anyways, not really machining stuff, but we all like tools.

1637100077284.png

1637100155748.png

1637100216009.png

Last edited:
Looks good, @Janderso but the fine print says:

"A drill chuck wrench MUST be used to tighten the drill chuck to give it enough torque. Tightening by hand would cause damage internally due to insufficient torque and would void the manufacturer warranty."

I've been considering buying a keyless chuck for my mini-mill but this sorta defeats the purpose of a keyless chuck, no? Is this common for most keyless chucks and people just ignore that warning or what?
I have several Shars keyless chucks, all are well made. I think most keyless chucks come with a pin hole for a chuck wrench. Few use them and only needed for big drills. I'd say this disclaimer covers them from people putting drills in the chuck and not tightening down, then the drill spins, mars the jaws, and runout increases. This is probably the same for all manufacturers IMO.

I have several Shars keyless chucks, all are well made. I think most keyless chucks come with a pin hole for a chuck wrench. Few use them and only needed for big drills. I'd say this disclaimer covers them from people putting drills in the chuck and not tightening down, then the drill spins, mars the jaws, and runout increases. This is probably the same for all manufacturers IMO.
I don't think you will need it.
The key is not really a key, but a spanner. I have one and thankfully I had one when I needed it.
The problem with keyless chucks is that they self tighten. I was in back gear with a large bit, While I have many tanged bits, this I had in a regular straight shaft. The bit got so tight, that I needed the spanner to remove the bit.

Can't imagine voiding a warranty for not having a spanner to tighten it. How is the chuck? Nice? very little runnout?

Back