What Did You Buy Today?

The anvil looks shop made. Nice vise, and a killer price. Mike

Over the weekend my wife and I were out just killing time and decided to go into a salvage (junk) store just to see what they had. In the kitchen goods area, on the shelf with the cups and plates, I spotted this...

20211113_200547.jpg

I didn't know what normal retail price would be on a 6 inch Wilton clamp, but took a chance at $30... I guess that was ok, Amazon has this clamp listed for $48... may find it cheaper than Amazon somewhere, but I won't look too hard, I'd rather feel like I got a good deal!

-Bear

I am very impressed.
I bought this 1/2" capacity keyless chuck from Shars.
For less than $30. It's smooth as silk, any runout is not noticeable drilling with a 1/4" drill bit.
I bought this chuck to put on the drill press i'm rebuilding to sell.
I have no idea how long it will stay in this condition???

Looks good, @Janderso but the fine print says:

"A drill chuck wrench MUST be used to tighten the drill chuck to give it enough torque. Tightening by hand would cause damage internally due to insufficient torque and would void the manufacturer warranty."

I've been considering buying a keyless chuck for my mini-mill but this sorta defeats the purpose of a keyless chuck, no? Is this common for most keyless chucks and people just ignore that warning or what?

Went to an estate auction Saturday. Old fellow that had passed away was a machinist. I ended up buying a Sajo universal horizontal mill, with vertical head and dividing head plus a ton of tooling. I believe it's a UF-48. Anybody here have any experience with one of these? It looks to be a very well built machine. Made in Sweden in the '50s.

Went to an estate auction Saturday. Old fellow that had passed away was a machinist. I ended up buying a Sajo universal horizontal mill, with vertical head and dividing head plus a ton of tooling. I believe it's a UF-48. Anybody here have any experience with one of these? It looks to be a very well built machine. Made in Sweden in the '50s.

I nearly bought one of those years ago. The one I had looked at had a "universal table," or that's what I think it was called anyway. The table could swing something like 15-degrees either way. The table travel would then be inclined with respect to the y-axis to help with cutting helices (helical gears, helical fluted cutting tools, etc.).

Probably would have never used the feature myself, but I still kick myself occasionally for not buying it. Conversation-starter for geeks, at the very least.

Yours being the "universal" model, sounds like that's what you got.

Congrats!

This bad boy was on my porch when I got home from work today. This one comes with the machine and hand torches. It’s an upgrade for my CNC system. It’ll be another week or two before the THC arrives. Then it’s game on, I hope.
F3D6A531-608A-491F-9920-68E9766095AF.jpeg

Looks good, @Janderso but the fine print says:

"A drill chuck wrench MUST be used to tighten the drill chuck to give it enough torque. Tightening by hand would cause damage internally due to insufficient torque and would void the manufacturer warranty."

I've been considering buying a keyless chuck for my mini-mill but this sorta defeats the purpose of a keyless chuck, no? Is this common for most keyless chucks and people just ignore that warning or what?
Whoa, I didn't see that.
I looked at the related products, no wrench listed??
I have a Rohm and an Albrecht I use all the time, hand tight does the trick.
I paid one hell of a lot more money though!

Back