What Did You Buy Today?

I saw these chamfer/countersinks, and in the picture seem to be in very good condition. There were no bids, and I got them for 40.00. Has anyone used this type?
1642362307736.png

i have the smallest one, on some diameter they work just like any other countersink bit on smaller and larger they don't cut at all.

I saw these chamfer/countersinks, and in the picture seem to be in very good condition. There were no bids, and I got them for 40.00. Has anyone used this type?
View attachment 392475

I've never seen that type before Mike. Are the cutting edges carbide or HSS? Also, please put one in a spindle and report back if the cone is concentric or eccentric (how much?) with the shank.

My guess is the cone is concentric and the trick is to project the cutting edge only a few thousands proud of the conical surface. Besides the setscrew for locking the "insert", is there a setscrew at the end for adjusting the insert projection?

Please report back your review on how the design performs.

Before I bid I looked them up, and they state carbide for the cutter, I'm not sure on the projection.

View attachment 392286

I was given several HF gift cards for Christmas... so I spent them this morning.

I've been waiting on my local HF to get these back in stock... and they finally did!

-Bear

I assembled the shop press today...

20220116_152237.jpg

I'll need to put some 'feet' on it... it tends to rock a little. Either the bottom pieces of angle aren't straight or the floor isn't flat... my bet would be on the floor not being flat, there is not many flat places in this floor...

Anybody want to guess whether the arbor plates are steel or cast iron? I think they are steel, but not sure. I may set one up on the mill and see what kind of chips I get off an edge. Either way, I will most likely order a set of the Swag offroad plates or make a set from a known alloy.

-Bear

Drill a dimple in the center Dust cast, chip steel?

Back