What Did You Buy Today?

^^^
Odd that all the hardware is exposed. Seems like you could just unbolt everything and open the door.

Now I've done it,.... Not really something I needed to come up right now, but it's something I couldnt pass up haha. Found a nice original j&j Taylor bankers safe.
Just gotta ship it now!
View attachment 392230View attachment 392231
Rare to find them in decent shape like this~ I only know of two with the original paint left.
Hope you can fill it up with a whole lot of $$$$$$

I got two new machines delivered today!!

One is a Rose Engine and the other is a Straight Line Engine (pardon the messy garage).

Both were made by F. A. Hall in Providence, RI. No dates or anything, but some internet sleuthing and some of the serials numbers I've preliminarily found on the machines suggest they were made in about 1905.

They're sort of esoteric machines, nearly lost to time. They almost never come up for sale, so I jumped at the opportunity. Didn't get 'you suck' pricing, but I got a decent deal. I bought them in Massachusetts and had them crated up and shipped to me in Minneapolis. That wasn't cheap.

Anyway, I've been interested in these machines for a number of years now. They're primarily used to decorate / guilloche watch dials, and somewhat in clockmaking. I, quite frankly, haven't all that much interest in making watch dials. But I find the machines themselves super interesting.

So I suspect what I'll end up doing with them is:
(1) strip them down and clean them up really well,
(2) repair / replace broken parts and pieces,
(3) paint and finish them off,
(4) play around with them for a while, and
(5) eventually sell them off to someone who plans on using them.

This'll no doubt take a good few years; maybe half a decade.

Maybe I'll make a separate restoration thread for them.

Anyone have a Rose Engine or Straight Line Engine? A quick search on H-M.com pegged a few folks with some interest.

View attachment 357140

View attachment 357139

View attachment 357138 View attachment 357137
Did you ever make progress with these machines. I’m fascinated with the idea of building my own and wonder if there is enough interest to put a group together here.

John

Back