What Did You Buy Today?

Remember you can move the jaw plates and clamp bigger than that. Maximum clamp is when the jaws are mounted on the far faces from each other. Max clamp is 16.842" according to Kurt.
Duh! :rolleyes:!! I forgot about that!! Thank you for the reminder :encourage:

Keep watching, I have boxes of this stuff to get through. I'm starting to see the camping gear behind the boxes though, so I must be making some progress!
For some strange reason , I resemble this . :grin: In my case , it's the fishing rods that I'm seeing .

I don't know if "buy" is the right word here. I did have to use some diesel to go get. Not much though as I was on my way to my granddaughter's basketball game and this was only a couple of miles out of my way. Does that count as buying? Anyway I saw a CL add for a road kill Rockwell 9" table saw. Free. Come and get it. Sitting in the street. Needs repair.

IMG_4150.JPG IMG_4151.JPG

A little rusty (platina?) and caked with sawdust. Cleaned the sawdust out of it. Well sort of. And got things moving somewhat of freely. Seems to work ok. Ripped a short piece of 2x4 like a hot knife cutting butter. The only problem is the handwheel to raise and lower the blade is a little chewed up and doesn't fit on it's shaft. The shaft is chewed up from using a vise grip to turn it. Kind of ghetto if you ask me. I can clean up the shaft but what about the handwheel. I have never had any luck trying to fix plastic. Looked for a replacement handwheel. Found one on Fleabay. $50. No thanks. Might have to try to make one. Another project added to the never ending list.

I don't know if "buy" is the right word here. I did have to use some diesel to go get. Not much though as I was on my way to my granddaughter's basketball game and this was only a couple of miles out of my way. Does that count as buying? Anyway I saw a CL add for a road kill Rockwell 9" table saw. Free. Come and get it. Sitting in the street. Needs repair.

View attachment 396951 View attachment 396952

A little rusty (platina?) and caked with sawdust. Cleaned the sawdust out of it. Well sort of. And got things moving somewhat of freely. Seems to work ok. Ripped a short piece of 2x4 like a hot knife cutting butter. The only problem is the handwheel to raise and lower the blade is a little chewed up and doesn't fit on it's shaft. The shaft is chewed up from using a vise grip to turn it. Kind of ghetto if you ask me. I can clean up the shaft but what about the handwheel. I have never had any luck trying to fix plastic. Looked for a replacement handwheel. Found one on Fleabay. $50. No thanks. Might have to try to make one. Another project added to the never ending list.
Drill out the hole and put in a new steel bushing. Glue it in with epoxy. Put some straight knurling on it. That should fix it.
Those wings are known to take out knuckles and fingers. Fit some thin masonite (tempered hardboard ) in there. Epoxy them down to the webbing. And you have a nice cast iron table w/out the deadly holes.

Turn it over, take a toothbrush (your wifes of course) and clean the teeth of the gear and worm. Then use teflon lube A liquid that dries. it will lube it and keep the saw dust from sticking. To cleanup the top, a Random Orbital Sander or palm sander works great at putting a like new finish on the metal. Just turn the paper so it doesn't go up into the filter. unless you have a vac hooked up. the rust chews up the fan and clogs the filter... But a vac sucks it all the way through.

I ordered this in August before the price of steel sky-rocketed. It was due in December but finally picked her up yesterday. Imago is a class act and they build high-quality trailers. This is their DTK14 Supermax. Overkill maybe but it will get a lot of use and can transport my Kubota and its many implements.

But there's more! Every couple of weeks, they take their drops to the recycle yard. They gave me about 100 lbs of steel - sheet, angle I-beam, expanded metal, and channel. They said I can come by anytime and take what I want.

IMG_9856.jpgIMG_9861.jpg

Be kind of hard to get the (ex) wife's tooth brush. She departed over 20 years ago. We are still friends. I did clean the worm and gears with a metal brush. They were froze up. Especially the ones to raise and lower the blade. I will look for the teflon lube.

The handwheel fits over a role pin. Thinking about getting a longer roll pin and notching the handwheel to fit over the longer pin.

One accessary I am thinking about is to either cut the teeth off of an old blade or make a 9" round disk that I can mount a sandpaper disk to. I would then have a sanding disk. Saw one on the Grizzly site when I was looking for a handwheel.

Been watching for an old one like this for some time. Finally one showed up at a decent price, $15. There are numerous newer versions from several sources. I tend to prefer the archaic ones. Something like my father would have used when he was active with contraptioneering. Good ZAMAK castings, no rotting. The steel parts need a little TLC. Otherwise, good shape.

1645210206857.png

Anyway I saw a CL add for a road kill Rockwell 9" table saw. Free. Come and get it. Sitting in the street. Needs repair.
That saw is nearly identical in construction as my Craftsman saw that is easily 20 years older (no aluminum on the table, older wobbly style fence rails) but otherwise the same. That info may help you expand your search for parts and information. Even in its neglected for shape, I keep it because it's been in my family since new. It runs very smooth, quiet, and needs little care and feeding. Good luck!

Back