What Did You Buy Today?

I retire in 9 years, 2 months.
At the rate you are burning your body, you will be lucky to have one when you retire, assuming it lasts that long.
The things you are buying today may not be of that much value to you in the future. Treat your body well, it's your only one.

yep, I burned mine out with sports and motorcycles, and stupid things. My moto was enjoy it while I was young.
My knees and feet are giving up on me. the arthritis from the damage is making it hard for me to get comfortable.

I'm now a HAS Been because I can't do most things any more. I would not have taken Larry's advice.. too dumb.. I had a motto, but if I knew how much pain I'd be in, I would have rethought that motto. Is HasBeen better than can't do now... I have memories, some I don't even remember... :rolleyes:

Very cheap 115 piece drill set. I had almost no numbered drills, lettered drills or 1/64” increment drills.

Under $56 with tax & delivery.

View attachment 404142
There are many "junky, Wally World" sellers of cheap Chinese bits. I acquired a similar set from Amazon. I knew (well assumed) it was junk when I ordered it. 1/32 to 1/2 by 64ths will not be cheap by any measure. I needed a specific size for soft plastic, building a "gizmo" and didn't want to bring my good drills in the house where Wife absconds with any loose tool. It was really cold, too, near freezing. Too cold to go outside. . .

The "up" side to such drills is that for smaller sizes, the count is usually up there. Several pieces of (marginally) sized accurate steel rod. Conceded, I build small items. a 3/16 inch drill is toward the large end of where I need parts. And short pieces, where I can get more than one item from the butt end of a drill. But taking that into consideration, it was money well spent, for what I do. And they are usable for wood or plastic, and easily (little wear of the stone) sharpened.

All in all, they are not "good" drills like a PTD, but are useful for many applications.

Purchased or won this Brown and Sharpe caliper on Ebay today. Paid for it but of course haven't received it yet. I had a dial caliper (unbranded) since 1974 and recently had the crystal, plastic, break. Been trying to use it anyway but too many times the reading is under the broken/cracked piece. Another thing is the dial is marked in 0.200" (0-99 x 2), which is very hard for me to read at my age. Sometimes having to use my glasses and a magnifying glass. A real pain.
This new to me caliper is marked in 0.100" (0-99 x1) so that the marks are so much easier to read. Looks to need a good cleaning, but hope that it was worth the cost. Got it for $76, plus $10 shipping and tax. Total $95.
I looked at newer ones but didn't care for any of them and hate digital. So hope that this one is accurate. Will check it against my mic gauges.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

I may have gone a bit crazy this week.
tAkYM7.jpg

I bought the large endmills to use at my Makerspace, since the mill there actually has the grunt to use them. The empty black box to the left of the dial test indicator is a very overpriced 1-2-3 block case that I regret buying (I was expecting actual wood, not particle board). To the right of the DTE is a set of 1/32" thin parallels. I'm really great at drilling into my parallels and I'm tired of doing it, so I finally splurged and got a cheap(ish) import set. I'll go into some of the other stuff in more detail below.

As an aside I've uploaded the above picture to an external image host that doesn't do any compression, so you should be able to zoom in on it. I've also uploaded a copy to the forum as an attachment in case that image host goes away. All of the remaining photos are just uploads to the forum, but they're closer shots so it doesn't matter if they get downsized.
PXL_20220414_215318396.jpg
More drills. I now have WAY too many drills The only reason I can give for why I keep buying them is that it always sucks when you don't have the right drill for the job. Being able to punch a 3/4" hole all the way through a 12" long part without needing to flip the thing is just wonderful, and since my lathe only has a 1.5 HP motor, I have to be able to step up to that size progressively. Some day I'll invest in some proper core drills...
PXL_20220414_214753272.jpg
This is what I'm most excited about. I've wanted an Interapid dial test indicator for as long as I've been into machining, but I could never justify the price. There was always something else that seemed more important so I made due with cheap import stuff, or I rolled the dice with eBay finds. I actually lucked out and got a VERY nice Compac DTE, but the dial is painfully small (probably 3/4" in diameter). This Interapid has a 1.5" diameter dial and the difference is night and day. I got it brand new from MSC which had the best price I could find.
PXL_20220414_214759667.jpg
I also picked up this Eagle Rock scissor knurling tool. My lathe doesn't have the rigidity for a bump knurling tool, so I've been making due with a very cheap import scissor knurler. I already feel confident that my knurls suck because I'm not any good at knurling, but now I'll be able to make crappy knurls with a nice tool.
PXL_20220414_220349832.jpg
I have no need for carbide tapered end mills right now (I have no plans to make molds), but This Old Tony has a set of them and I thought they were just super cool. I'll probably never use them, but they were cheap, I was on-call and bored, and I'm a terribly impulsive spender when I'm bored.

Attachments

• PXL_20220414_214746260.jpg
    PXL_20220414_214746260.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 14
Yikes. Over $2 per pound. Local scrap yard by me sells angle and just about anything you can imagine for 40c per pound.
I wish.
by me my local yard is a nasty SOB that won't sell the metal... and he doesn't just tell ya...

Back