What Did You Buy Today?

gottcha...

BTW, if you run into that situation again, consider a step drill for expanding holes. Lots of oil. I find that they don't bite in the way a twist drill does.

I use them for plastic to prevent it from digging in, I have another set for metal. I only use a step drill for sheet metal.. And I agree your situation requires you to think about your wrists first. You can use you mill as a drill press, you don't need to mount it in the vise. Put a stud in your table to prevent the plate from spinning... open the jaws and drill over the open jaws...

gottcha...

BTW, if you run into that situation again, consider a step drill for expanding holes. Lots of oil. I find that they don't bite in the way a twist drill does.

I use them for plastic to prevent it from digging in, I have another set for metal. I only use a step drill for sheet metal.. And I agree your situation requires you to think about your wrists first. You can use you mill as a drill press, you don't need to mount it in the vise. Put a stud in your table to prevent the plate from spinning... open the jaws and drill over the open jaws...
With something that big, I'd clamp it to the mill table with some spacers, like wood or plywood. That way there won't be any excitement at all. You may have to reclamp to reach all the holes, but it will be a lot safer.

Very cheap 115 piece drill set. I had almost no numbered drills, lettered drills or 1/64” increment drills.

Under $56 with tax & delivery.

3F08E0E5-10F5-4E9A-972E-EAAA932E3C13.png

Very cheap 115 piece drill set. I had almost no numbered drills, lettered drills or 1/64” increment drills.

Under $56 with tax & delivery.

View attachment 404142
Hope they are made of HSS. Although I would have been tempted at that price, my experience with HF HSS drills tells me they may be ok for wood and plastic, but not so good for steel. Check the drill points for correct sharpening, and check that they are straight by rolling them. Good luck with them. Seems too inexpensive, if you know what I mean. 3 stars with only 2 reviews doesn't sound promising. Typically the 2 reviews are from family members! Do let us know how they turn out. Maybe they are ok.

So got it for what I think is a pretty good price at only $150. Still need a lower (Cabinet) but will keep my eyes out.
Looks to be very nice & @ a good price. I bought a HF base cabinet a while back, seems quite nice an was a decent price but the price has since gone up. Got a Craftsman base & upper when the local Sears store was closing, big discounts. All the Chinese cabinets seem similarly made but vary in drawer sizing and details. I seem to add "stuff" faster than places to put it. The electrical control cabinet that I gutted and put shelves in has been a good solution for larger heavy items.

We have a set of the HF drills.

They do NOT appear to be made from drill rod that is ground.

An 1/8 bit BENT in a 90 instead of breaking and another one exploded.

Look close at some of the boxes, you will see "forged" on them.

Wrenches are forged...not drill bits.

They have oddball grain.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

They have oddball grain.

I have a 20 year old set of HF, been great as a filler between my USA made. I think I got them when they were good. Glad I did. Maybe one has disappointed me.. maybe... I go to them first for a lot of stuff. I go to the USA for more important drilling. My tap drill are all USA.

They have oddball grain.

Have to agree. At that price point, everything needs to be scrutinized. Can't assume it will be good. I was trying to not sound like a basher.

If you need a relatively well sized hole (not way off) and a hole that is somewhat straight, I wouldn't recommend HF HSS drills. If I have a hole I need to drill that matters I don't use HF HSS drills. They are barely ok for wood. They are rarely ground properly. At least that has been my experience with my set. The "cobalt" set is much better, but still, I can't quite trust them. If I need a low drama hole that drills properly, I buy a decent drill bit. I know drill bits are not precision instruments, but the better brands really are made better and drill easier.

Back