What Did You Buy Today?

I finally have a face plate for my lathe.
I found it on Ebay.
It was a fair price.
I cleaned it up a bit and mounted it. Runs smooth- no wabble!!
Good that you got one that fits in the space. For me, a backing plate should be as large as possible as the face it the mounting surface unlike a scroll or 4 jaw. You can mount some really odd ball shapes on them.
I bought a 14" or 16", can't remember of top of my head, for my lathe, use it when the gap is removed. It's run out was excessive so just turned the face. The larger size allowed me to use hold down clamps on the perimeter of the work piece more easily.

Somewhere, quite a few pages back, I had bought some reamers. Now I am 0 for 2. For the 0.2485" reamer, they shipped a 0.3760" (haven't measured it yet.) I hadn't gotten a chance to try out the 0.2490" reamer. I was skeptical when I opened the package...

That questionably marked reamer, well, it cuts large. It is marked on the tube as 0.2490", and on the reamer itself, as '1/4 - 0.001". Tried it out today. It makes a hole at least 0.2500. I have a pin that mics at 0.2495", wanted a 0.2490" reamer for an interference fit. My pin just falls through the hole. :( I thought, well, I could have run-out, but let's check the reamer. 0.2495" mid reamer, well that's not encouraging, it's out of spec already. For giggles, how wide is the cutting end? 0.2501x, there's my slip fit even if I had zero run-out. Guess I will make a return on this reamer as well. They probably won't want it back. I need to mark it somehow so I never use it again as a reamer. Might be ok for turning it into something else, just not a reamer.

Regarding reamers, not so long ago I bought a set of "over/under" reamers, from 1/8" to 1/2" by 16th. There are two reamers for each size, one is 0.001 over nominal, the other 0.001 under. This has been wonderfully useful...it makes press fits a snap, it allows very close bolt hole fits, and just kind of ups my game a bit. It was probably Shars or such, quality is adequate for occasional use and it works fine in steel. I use Anchor Lube liberally.

Regarding reamers, not so long ago I bought a set of "over/under" reamers, from 1/8" to 1/2" by 16th. There are two reamers for each size, one is 0.001 over nominal, the other 0.001 under. This has been wonderfully useful...it makes press fits a snap, it allows very close bolt hole fits, and just kind of ups my game a bit. It was probably Shars or such, quality is adequate for occasional use and it works fine in steel. I use Anchor Lube liberally.
Sounds like a good idea! Will check out the listings for something like this.

From my favourite shopping centre, the local dump. An Ironhorse thats missing the kick start and a model MWB Brigs and Stratton. Apparently these were used on washing machines and water pumps in their day. Have a complete Ironhorse that I found a few years ago at the same store. Oh they have an incredible return policy, no time limit and no receipt for full refund. lol
IMG_2022-06-08_12-41-03.jpeg

Greg

This might be true but without knowing what agreements he has with merchant services you really can't say. My experience with merchant accounts is they always make the business eat any costs they can. They have tremendous power over small businesses and can literally eat up your profit margin with fees. When my customers were making large purchases I would always encourage them to pay with cash or check if possible.

That said, it's a pet peeve of mine when businesses charge extra for me to use a credit card. If they're going to accept cards they should just mark up the products appropriately so they can maintain their margin. It doesn't keep me from shopping with my favorite businesses but it's a minor irritation for me.

John
Had a card processing once.

Every transaction has a fee, both ways.

So keeping the fee is valid, most will not do this but your reason for canceling warrants it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

From my favourite shopping centre, the local dump. An Ironhorse thats missing the kick start and a model MWB Brigs and Stratton. Apparently these were used on washing machines and water pumps in their day. Have a complete Ironhorse that I found a few years ago at the same store. Oh they have an incredible return policy, no time limit and no receipt for full refund. lol
View attachment 409553

Greg
Ahhh , reminds me of the Maytag of old

Attachments

• MaytagFlyer336.jpg
    MaytagFlyer336.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Back