[4]

What Did You Buy Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

PHPaul

Registered

@jwmay - You're not the only one. I picked this one up at Goodwill for $7.00 intending to strip it for parts for scrap art. Got curious, cleaned it up and lubed it, made the odd adjustment here and there and it sews perfectly.

Couldn't bring myself to destroy it, but I don't need a sewing machine either, so donated it to a "lending library". They have all sorts of things like telescopes and microscopes that they lend out and said they'd love to have the machine.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I learned two things about sewing machines, they like to be clean and oiled.
Long story, in 1983, I went to New York, to the garment section. Bought a, Brother's industrial sewing machine, took a taxi to Laguardia and flew it to Port-au-Prince to the factory I worked in.
Beautiful machines.

DiscoDan

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Hit a local Baltimore industrial/architectural salvage spot yesterday to get my birthday gift from my wife. Picked up a hand made tool chest and a few machining books. The tool chest was marked by the maker and I am doing research on him. Name was Clarence W. Itneyer and he died in 1985 at age 85 according to online records.

Attachments

Last edited:

HBilly1022

I traded in my old open station tractor for this one.
We've been having a real cold spell here, with temps dropping to -30C overnight. It sure is a LOT nicer to be sitting inside a heated cab than sittiing in the open, all bundled up and still freezing. I now look forward to moving the snow around, all toasty warm and listening to my favorite music.

I can even do it at night, since this thing has lights all over the place.

Cadillac

Brass
Registered
Picked up a Demagnetizers from a auction on Friday. Had to clean her up to be presentable.

She was dirty. Ended up cutting a piece of plastic to cover the top so when it sucks in the part unexpectedly I don’t scratch up the nice ground surface. This thing works pretty darn good I did acouple cutters I had lying around and after acouple slwipes I dropped in a pile of grinding dust and not a spec on the cutter.

BROCKWOOD

Today, I bought wire & lugs to finish out my lathe. It really pays to shop around. I like to 1 stop shop if possible. Not today. The places that sell terminal connecters (lugs) want over $2 per foot for 12 gauge SIS wire. So, I found a reasonable ($0.27 per ft) source for wire & they don't sell lugs. All in all glad I saved over $200.

Now what came in today, is a good selection of nuts & washers from no6 to 1/4. I had to pad the order to get free shipping - so an assortment of keystock it was.

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i stopped by a friend to buy couple of LPG valves, left one is for the gas and has a new filter fitted, the other is for shutting off the fuel to the carburetor, i have couple spare valves but all different makers, i wanted to use all Lovato parts so it will be easier to get the LPG conversion sirdifield i also pick up some oil to do an oil change on the Little Niva when i get the engine back together.

mickri

Registered
I found a machinist level in a thrift store for $10. Couldn't pass it up for that price.

As you can see it is "T" shaped. I have thought about cutting it in two and having two levels. That is probably a bad idea that I will regret once I do it. Going to have to relevel my lathe. The lathe is just slightly out of level both fore and aft and athwart ship

darkzero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Picked up a bunch of these long reach markers from my local Travers (and for my brothers). Never knew these things existed. These would have came in handy so many times in the past. They're on sale this month at Travers.

Robo_Pi

I really splurged today and bought three new tools. Actually 5 if you count the fly cutters separately. :grin:

I bought a set of 3 fly cutters from Amazon for my mill:

I bought a live center for my for my lathe, also from Amazon:

And I bought a premium membership to Hobby Machinists forum:

Now I'm broke. :grin:

PHPaul

Registered
@Robo_Pi - I'd be interested in your feed back on those fly cutters once you get a chance to use them. I've been contemplating buying a set.

Robo_Pi

@Robo_Pi - I'd be interested in your feed back on those fly cutters once you get a chance to use them. I've been contemplating buying a set.
I'll most likely post a thread in the "What did you do in your shop today?" forum when I use them for the first time.

Making one is a fun project.
The one you made looks to be very high quality. Good job!

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i went and visited the tool/flea market, some new venders some old. The first thing i bought is this finger belt sender, made by black & decker, should come in handy, then i bought this 1/2 coll threading tap, used but still sharp, got some windscreen wipers for the Little Niva, and found spare set of tail shafts for the Niva, both front and rear, looks like some one had left over paint and painted them i also pick this diesel burner, is build like a tank i had to use my dolly to move it and the rear driveshaft, not a bad trip the driveshafts alone wore a bargain plus the little belt sender made this a very good trip.

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Last night while finishing up a project the neighbors son saw my garage lights on and came to ask if I wanted a hunk of aluminum. He had bought a high end router and it was mounted to this "jig" for routing the plug jack on an electric guitar body. I said I'd take a look as I can't turn down shiny stuff. I took one look and said yes! This is a helluva jig for one operation! It looks to be for Stratocaster style body. The fitting is for vacuum to hold the body in place while you use the router. Lots of nice fittings too. Don't know how the spring attaches but the arm has an eccentric with nylon. For free whatchagonnado?

Attachments

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i stopped by the hardware store to buy some sandpaper for my DA sander, i also bought some leather welding gloves and a door lock cylinder, i need those supplies to work on the little niva.

[6]
[5] [7]