What Did You Buy Today?

More than likely those wire cutters were for a manufacturing process. If you had to cut wires all day long, you would be very happy for the pneumatic assist!

There was a time I would have given my eye teeth for that contraption. Bolt cutters worked, sort of once I found something to push against doing work off the ground. 1/4 messenger cable has steel strands for strength. Working up a pole with wire cutters is a PITA.

My latest auction score. A logan #1284 8" 4 jaw chuck for $40. It has 2 3/8x8 tpi threads. All I have to do is make an adapter to fit the 1 1/2x8 tpi spindle on my lathe. I use my 4 jaw chucks a lot and my current 8" 4 jaw is in fair condition with lots of missing threads on the jaws.

IMG_3803.JPG

More than likely those wire cutters were for a manufacturing process. If you had to cut wires all day long, you would be very happy for the pneumatic assist!

I bit late to respond but here we go. I've worked for Van Hool, the belgian bus company and i use to use up 7-800 zip ties over a three day period, close to 300 terminal ends and a lot of wire, wiring them buses. Only pneumatic assisted tool i wanted and used was a pop rivet gun, i cut off the tails on every zip tie with side cutters, i stripped every cable with the same side cutters. i've never seen use for assistance with them even after a 18 hour shift. PS side cutters only lasted 2-3 months in my hands, i did brake lot of hand tools there because they wore low quality.

I bit late to respond but here we go. I've worked for Van Hool, the belgian bus company and i use to use up 7-800 zip ties over a three day period, close to 300 terminal ends and a lot of wire, wiring them buses. Only pneumatic assisted tool i wanted and used was a pop rivet gun, i cut off the tails on every zip tie with side cutters, i stripped every cable with the same side cutters. i've never seen use for assistance with them even after a 18 hour shift. PS side cutters only lasted 2-3 months in my hands, i did brake lot of hand tools there because they wore low quality.
And because of it you most likely have a very strong grip (short term benefit) and will probably be rewarded with a lifelong reminder of each and every one of those cuts made through the arthritis that was earned for the trouble! A tool like those wire clippers for me fall into the "work Smarter NOT Harder" category.

I got my stick welder out the other day and with a full welding rod in the holder the tip of the rod was shaking like a dog ****ting chicken bones. My old hands aren’t as steady as they used to be. I did ok with a rod of 3-4” long. So I just ordered a Hobart Handler 190 Mig welder. I pondered a cheap HF machine but decided on the American Made Hobart that will probably last me the rest of my life. Tractor Supply actually has a lower price than Amazon but after factoring the Prime points and the contribution to my charity of choice Amazon was cheaper. Should be here Tuesday :)

I got my stick welder out the other day and with a full welding rod in the holder the tip of the rod was shaking like a dog ****ting chicken bones. My old hands aren’t as steady as they used to be. I did ok with a rod of 3-4” long. So I just ordered a Hobart Handler 190 Mig welder. I pondered a cheap HF machine but decided on the American Made Hobart that will probably last me the rest of my life. Tractor Supply actually has a lower price than Amazon but after factoring the Prime points and the contribution to my charity of choice Amazon was cheaper. Should be here Tuesday :)
I bought a Hobart 190 a couple of years ago. Really nice welder, you made a good choice. I was looking at a HF also, but went your same route. In my case, our son will inherit my shop if he wants it. I don't want him to look at his "inheritance" and think "dad bought a lot of junk".

Bruce

Bruce,
I’m glad to hear that the Hobart serves you well. I like the fact that it is transformer based instead of inverter based. Transformers will easily outlast circuit boards. I know Miller and Lincoln have some really nice, powerful inverter based machines but they have the price also. I’m a retired hobbyist who might only weld a few times a year so I think I made a good choice that will last me as long as I need it.

So I spoke with the seller of the Hybco Tap Grinder on the phone and I told him I would pay on pick up December 11th, we both agreed on this.... A few days later he messages me asking me to pay right now because he needs to pay for a lathe he just bought, I tell him that we already agreed on the 11th he say ok...... Today 12/9/19 he messages me again asking me what time tomorrow I'm going to pick it up, tomorrow is the 10th not the 11th... Sooo I messaged him back telling him that I'm no longer interested in buying any machines from him, cancel the order and to lose my phone number.....lol

I cant stand sellers that agree to something and then try to rush everything..... I wont be buying this machine..... Kinda sad but I'm going to see about buying this lathe on Wednesday.....

lathe.jpglathe2.jpglathe4.jpglathe3.jpg

Last edited:
Back