What Did You Buy Today?

This going back and forth between the house in Orlando and Ocala kind of sucks... can't wait to finally move. I kick myself every time I forget to take all the tools I need for a task... or when I forget to return them and need them in the other house...

This has pushed me to get a few things to keep at each place. Recent purchase, that just arrived, was another center punch. I was going to buy new, like the first one I got, until I saw how much it had gone up in price. So used it was.

But I have a question, why three tips? I am familiar with the pointy one... that is what my other center punch has... But where/when would I use the other two??

IMG_7425.jpeg
IMG_7424.jpeg
IMG_7422.jpeg

It is not like the other two make a good impression... this is on a piece of Delrin...

Impression made from left to right: flat tip / concave tip / pointy tip

IMG_7427.jpeg

You snooze, you lose... was looking on eBay at a Starrett depth gauge... should have hit buy-now... instead I kept looking at other listings and when I came back to the one I should have bought, it was gone... :bang head:

Anyway... will continue to keep an eye out for one...

Ordered this set (1/2" shank) for the Logan 820...

View attachment 416789
I just picked this up as well have not tried them yet. Very excited to try these I have only used HSS.

Many long years ago I did a lot of electronics work on "wire wrap" boards. Some factory made and some my own designs. The punch for setting wire wrap pins turns out the same as the "automatic" center punches. Just with a hollow punch to fit the WW pins. The punch body seems to have had a number of uses over the years beyond the 30 deg punch. That is sort of where a personal "nickname" (WW) came from, way back when. . .

Your photo is for the three tips, only one of which is a center punch. The flat tipped on is probably for moving pins, driving them to a point that they can be grasped with pliers or "vise grips". The conical one strikes me as a nail set up front. I don't know where a nail set would fit in machine work and nail sets actually have 3 sizes. (by x/32nds) But the tip "could" be used as a nail set, though if I was doing carpentry work, a nail set is as necessary as a hammer. If the situation ever arose where a set was useful for mechanical work, it might prove useful. Setting small rivets maybe? If you could even find the tip when you needed to set those rivets.

Attachments

• review 1.jpg
    review 1.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 26
  • review 2.jpg
    review 2.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 25
One inch end mill. I couldn't resist at this price.
I do not have a 90 degree indexable end mill.
Shoot, 8 inserts, free shipping and the end mill for less than $30.
It works, so far. The stick out is a bit excessive but there may be times I need the reach.
I didn't expect much but so far I am happy with it.

The piece you linked is described as a 25mm end mill with a 25mm shank.
I'm wondering what you actually received.
The same Amazon page does list some fractional sizes at equivalently attractive prices.

Funny... 3C collet set with drawbar arrived... I am placing it on the desk to take a photo to share, daughter walks in and says "Ooohhh that is so cute!"

I have to agree... photos do not convey a good visual on the size of these collets... these are tiny. Looking forward to using them!

AAA battery placed next to one collet...

IMG_7449.jpeg

Back