What Did You Buy Today?

That is indeed a sweet idea — I never would have thought of that! I’ve used the barrel nuts lots before and they can be had pretty easily from Home Depot. Lee Valley sells them as well. Great use of an existing product for a new purpose.
I'm not sure they make a 0.3" barrel nut. 5/16" won't fit in the hole. Might need to go to 1/4".

I'm not sure they make a 0.3" barrel nut. 5/16" won't fit in the hole. Might need to go to 1/4".
Good point -- the ones I've used are close to 3/8" diameter for 1/4" threaded cross fastener so they may very likely be too large. I suppose they could be turned down but at that point the returns may be about the same as making from scratch.

Stopped by a friend's commercial shop yesterday just to say hi and see if he wanted to go out for breakfast. When I stuck my head through the door he said, "I've got some tooling you might be interested in". He showed me a box with a mix of a hundred or so drills, reamers, boring tools, and end mills.

All the drills were high end Guhring, National or Chicago Latrobe. It was an eclectic mix of imperial and standard sizes with the vast majority being metric. The metrics were odd sizes (at least to me) like 13.2 mm, 15.5 mm, 4.3mm, and many others. The interesting point was the fact that 90+% of both the metric and imperial drills were piloted. For instance, the 4.3 mm drills had a 2.2 mm pilot.

He said all the tooling came from a closed shop that he had bought out, so he had no idea what type of work they had been doing in the past.

The pile is now sitting on a bench in my shop waiting for classification and cleaning. They might be there for some time since yard work and social gatherings will be the focus for the next few weeks.

Here are a couple pictures of the collection. Maybe someone here has some Ideas on what type of job shop would use this type of tooling.

On Edit: I forgot to say he gave me the box of tooling at no charge.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Not sure what the pilots are for on the drills, but sometimes you'll get odd sized metric drills for specific threads. So M5x0.8 would call for a 4.2mm drill as standard, maybe 4.3mm for alu or 4.1mm for steel, depending on the desired thread depth. Other ones are a "who knows?", maybe the best closest drill before reaming a hole. I have a bunch of weird metric drills too :)

I have a bunch of weird metric drills too :)
For my narrow minded pencil headed self, all metric drills are weird.
Now, where is my complaining stump and slice of apple pie, I need to sit down and work on dividing by 10 and 25.4.
All kidding aside, I have more metric taps and drills than I ever thought I would own.

Used Criterion S-2 boring head for a 7/8”-20 shank. It does not come with a shank. $69.68 including tax & shipping after I used the eBay coupon.

I don’t know if it takes 1/2” or 3/8” boring bars, but I sure hope that it is 1/2” because I have no 3/8” boring bars. Looking at the photos, it sure looks like a 1/2” model.

C655C356-CC84-445C-B6D2-29C4F518FA23.png
1F615300-71D8-49BC-97FC-58752C60D8D8.png
C72488CD-6610-4A7C-89D5-A242186ECAD2.png

It will be one of the shaded green rows seen below:

3E603810-462D-49FF-9100-A3E52B33D101.png

I went back & forth a lot with the eBay Seller. He removed the shank for me which lowered the purchase price, as I had no use for the shank that he had on it.

He wanted $100 for the boring head, but he came down to $70, & that was before the 20% off coupon. A new one costs $465, it is backordered, & it is not Made in USA.

Here is a Made in USA, New Open Box:

5AB064C9-96B3-442B-BF00-11DE865DCAC4.png

Last edited:
Back