What Did You Buy Today?

I got the “Micro Mill” ($75) size plates along with one of their Hobby Modular Vises & a handful of extras for use on my Mini Mill for holding larger parts - it fits nicely next to my 3” vise and gives options that my plain fixture plates don’t. I will admit that I have only used it once, and while it may not pay for itself it did make holding the part a lot easier.

Based on the descriptions on their website and what they show in their YouTube videos, the intended use is a full time fixture plate for CNC mills (they recommend using dielectric compound between the plate & mill table to prevent corrosion, something that isn’t necessary if it’s only in place sometimes).
yeah, aluminum and steel don't cohabitate to well with each other

Yesterday, I introduced a new mill to the shop today. An Enco clone of a Bridgeport. The variable speed mechanism is broken due to unknown reasons, and the downfeed doesn't work due to missing parts. But, what can you expect for $1500. The tables seem to be really tight, with the barest of backlash.
Today, I bought an extra head that looks like it has all the missing parts. Another $250.
Skip the VFD and get a rotary phase converter. Some very well respected BP rebuilders (i.e. Tim Besmer, Sr.) will tell you that variable speed heads don't really like VFDs very much.

There' nothing there that can't be fixed. I bought a BP and completely tore it down, knowing nothing at all. If I can do it, surely you can.

Reading about people worrying until their hair falls out over the 0.25 volt potential between aluminum and steel when immersed in an electrolyte is one of the most entertaining things to do on the internet. It's as common as pictures of cats.

Reading about people worrying until their hair falls out over the 0.25 volt potential between aluminum and steel when immersed in an electrolyte is one of the most entertaining things to do on the internet. It's as common as pictures of cats.
for one, once you learn my sense of humor, you'd know that i was being "sarcastic"....

Skip the VFD and get a rotary phase converter. Some very well respected BP rebuilders (i.e. Tim Besmer, Sr.) will tell you that variable speed heads don't really like VFDs very much.

There' nothing there that can't be fixed. I bought a BP and completely tore it down, knowing nothing at all. If I can do it, surely you can.

@mysterysniper , you got me in trouble last night. I was supposed to be watching a Halloween movie with the wife. But, I got caught up in your videos instead. Your video is much better than the ones from HW. In HW's videos he is ripping and banging and tossing parts around in an echo chambers that is to bright. . . very much like a video I might make. Lots of distraction, and you can't really see what's going on. Your video is calm, engaging and clear. I feel like I'm ready to tear these two heads down and build up one good one. Thank you for sharing.

for one, once you learn my sense of humor, you'd know that i was being "sarcastic"....
I wasn't: I've seen reactions between SS and high-performance painted steel wall panels that caused the bottom 6" of 30' of steel panels to literally rot away within six months. The problems was 1) dissimilar metals (yes, SS & Steel are dissimilar enough to cause a reaction and both materials being wet for 12 – 16 hours a day with (cold) ozonated water. The solution was to cut off the rotted panels 6" above the rot, marry-up new sections of panels & replace the SS channel at the bottom with painted steel: problem gone (and a lawsuit settled). BTW, my firm did not specify the materials, we were called in for a forensic evaluate & make a recommendation.

Stainless has a much higher potential against aluminum than steel does, because stainless is full of nickel and chromium in addition to iron and carbon. In an immersed environment you have an electrolyte bridge- if anyone ever tries starting a car on a battery without electrolyte, let me know how it works out, because that's all the galvanic field density you're going to get out of a dry fit assembly. Ozonated water may as well be high pressure O2 heated to plasma. Ozone is a metastable radical that can react in a number of ways. That is a specialty application that requires engineering if I ever saw one.

But I wouldn't hesitate to put a stainless bolt through a cast aluminum manifold against a cast iron cylinder head with bronze anti-seize and the end threads penetrating the water jacket, because by the time anything happens naturally the motor will be long since worn out.

Stainless has a much higher potential against aluminum than steel does, because stainless is full of nickel and chromium in addition to iron and carbon. In an immersed environment you have an electrolyte bridge- if anyone ever tries starting a car on a battery without electrolyte, let me know how it works out, because that's all the galvanic field density you're going to get out of a dry fit assembly. Ozonated water may as well be high pressure O2 heated to plasma. Ozone is a metastable radical that can react in a number of ways. That is a specialty application that requires engineering if I ever saw one.

But I wouldn't hesitate to put a stainless bolt through a cast aluminum manifold against a cast iron cylinder head with bronze anti-seize and the end threads penetrating the water jacket, because by the time anything happens naturally the motor will be long since worn out.
This is what i have always heard, it happens, but they never explain the veracity at which it will "develop"

Ok, I admit it can happen. As someone who has torn down a lot of pontiac engines, there is a mixed metal sandwich where there should be a water pump and timing cover. Steel water baffle, steel hardware, iron block, iron water pump casting, and a cast aluminum cover to hold it all together. On 30 year old engines, sometimes parts can't be reused because of pitting, but what (performance) engine has a 30-year service life? Buy the time a california car was taken off the road in decades past, the mileage on the odometer was the culprit, not the galvanically affected parts.

Back