What Did You Buy Today?

Two tricycle hubs which will be used on an oxyacetylene cart:

$49.22 for both, including tax & shipping.

AFDCE54D-73E0-4277-9A89-3760A1BE2EEC.png

Customer owned, spare 75 ft.³ acetylene as well as 80 ft.³ oxygen cylinders.

16C219CA-285A-4777-87D0-AABF407A57B7.jpeg

Also, 2 quantity Victor 000 cutting tips as well as 2 of the same in 00.

E5B5BDD5-A60F-433E-A252-6476B958D32B.png

The acetylene tank in the photo above is smaller than my other (primary) acetylene tank, but these 2 cylinders in the photo above filled with gas set me back $623 so it will have to be big enough.

Last edited:
My $19, 2.0 Amp orbital sander (that was gifted to me by my Dad) reached the end of its life. One day I will be able to repair it by *replacing this hook and loop adhesive* that no longer sticks to the power tool. I looked online & in Harbor Freight as well as Homo Depot for these adhesives for sale, but I don’t see that anybody sells these sticky pads:

57D6DDE1-4F48-41AA-A30E-99724B7A2884.jpeg

I wanted the 3.0A Harbor Freight orbital sander, but HF didn’t have any in stock. I needed the power tool for this weekend, so I bought this Makita at Home Depot. I got $10 off this price:

FD1FBC7F-8227-4A88-B0F7-0C902BD406E9.jpeg

So now I get to experience what a 50% power increase feels like.

They sell the pad with the hook and loop attached to it…. As one part…

I recently replaced mine

Ahh, I see. The Makita has 3 screws, & the HF has 4 screws. Hopefully beyond this 3 or 4 screw difference the manufacturers have standardized this to some degree.

Makita:

image.jpg

Chicago Electric from Horrible Freight:

image.jpg

Here is the Makita part, called a Backing Pad or Sanding Pad:

This sander looks like it will fit on the HF unit according to my careful measuring:

Last edited:
This may not interest you depending on what you use the sander for. You can get the backing pads with different density backing pads. Not a bad idea to have different densities for different needs.

As a reminder the hook and loop pads require a light pressure other wise you can prematurely wear it out. Let the sand paper do it's job. While PSA pads are different this way you still need to let the paper do it's job with both.

Makita compatible 5" backing pads are a dollar a dozen on eBay. The velcro is almost as good, the pad is indistinguishable from Makita oem. If you're rocking and rolling on a job like that, expect to burn a few backing pads. It's the heat that kills the velcro, so easy does it, keep it cool. I can't take my own advice though, the sander itself is a hungry machine and I like to lean into it. It's pretty tough; I beat it like it owes me money and it just goes. I kill me some pads though. Probably the reason the sell them in no-sh*t 12-packs!

I picked up this well used Sherline lathe. It is an older one with a brass bed, so guessing it late 1970s since they went to a steel bed in the early 80s. Sherline was offered through Sears for a few years and this one is marked as a Craftsman 527-2142.

I've been looking for a cheap 8" version of the Sherline to permanently set up the threading attachment on. This was a perfect candidate since it was missing the motor and speed controller keeping the price down.
The poor little thing looks like it has had a tough life, but it should clean up nicely for my intended purpose, and it is kind of neat that it is one of the Craftsman branded ones.

Sherline has kept these about 99% backward compatible so parts won't be any issue although I'm not expecting to need any beyond the threading adaptor which I already own. It is temporarily parked in front of my 17" Sherline until introductions to the other machines in the shop can be completed. :)

Craftsman 527 2142 Sherline 4000.jpg

Back