What Did You Buy Today?

Wait ... what? PM sends you stuff for free, now Edge Technologies is doing it, too. Come on, Will, you gotta' share your secret with us - how are you doing this?

Wait ... what? PM sends you stuff for free, now Edge Technologies is doing it, too. Come on, Will, you gotta' share your secret with us - how are you doing this?

Haha, I don't know? Stuff like this never happens to me! I'm in shock & of course really happy! This wasn't like a raffle or anything like that but it feels like I won something, I never win anything!

Haha, I don't know? Stuff like this never happens to me! I'm in shock & of course really happy! This wasn't like a raffle or anything like that but it feels like I won something, I never win anything!

Hmmm ... all evidence to the contrary! Happy for you in any case, Will!

I bought a Harbor Freight (called "Windsor Design") wooden machinists tool box.
<snip>
The front panel doesn't release by opening the lid with the Harbor Freight like it does on the Gerstner. You have to engage the key to open that panel.
<snip>
If you do purchase one, please be aware that you will be doing some additional work to get it where you want it.
I have a couple of these and agree that they ain't the Cadillac of boxes. More like an old Chevy.

Here's what I did to a used one I bought recently. First off, I removed the cheesy locks (that required TWO different keys.) Then I drilled down along the centerline of the front face of the tray - something like ⅜" diameter nearly through, then about 3/16" thru the face and into the edge of the drop panel. Added a circlip to a 5/32" rod, dropped a spring down the hole, stuck in the rod, and voila - a front panel latch operated by the lid.

The hole where the panel lock used to be is now a finger pull.
kHPIM6363.jpgkHPIM6364.jpgkHPIM6365.jpg

Got this for Christmas. Got tired of the benchtop one and decided to get one that would last a while. Just got it wired up tonight and adjusted the outfeed table.
8 x 76 Spiral cutter head, paralellogram beds, 220v 3 HP motor.
It is so easy to run a board through, the Cuts are perfect and smooth.

View attachment 309781
I have several professional grade woodworking machines from Grizzly and I am well satisfied, owned them for about 12 years and no problems. That’s a beautiful jointer you have, I’ve heard the spiral cutter heads do a great job, build something cool.

Got me some new more expensive drifts. I've been using inexpensive TTC ones I got from the local Travers. They worked perfectly fine but for the Jacobs MT3 extension I use somewhat often I always had to use the MT3 drift stacked with the MT1 drift cause it wasn't wide enough. I don't have any MT4 stuff, bought a MT4 drift hoping that would work but it's too thick for the slot.

These drifts are either made by LFA/Reichel (France drill chuck mfg) or Llambrich (Spain drill chuck mfg), I'm thinking LFA judging by the searches I did online. I bought the Llambrich ones cause they're a few bucks less. Each drift is longer in length & wider than normal drifts so they cover two sizes. I tried the 3-4 drift & it works with my MT3 ext without needing a second drift. So I decided to buy the other 2 smaller ones to make them my new set. Gonna sell my old ones.

20200109_184229.jpg

It's the little things....

I used to have a 3 in. (I believe) double square, which I found incredibly useful for small weldments and other typical machine work. Much more useful than the usual 12 in. combination square. Somehow it grew legs, which I would expect from flashier and more valuable tools. It's been bothering me for way too long, so I finally ordered one. Couldn't find a 3 in., had to settle for 4.

1578670925435.png

Will thanks, added to my list of tools to buy. And thanks for doing the research for me...

Last edited:
Couple of new wheels this week: A ceramic alumina in 80-grit, and a pink aluminum oxide cup wheel in 60-grit. Still working on a couple hubs for the grinder but so far so good.

27E06573-91C9-42A3-BE3D-8016EF53FE9F.jpeg

Oh and one more, a 6” x 3/8” ruby aluminum oxide from a buddy.

14FC2827-0B34-4B06-B31B-F9E1FC0BB30A.jpeg

-frank

Back