What Did You Buy Today?

I cashed out 5 weeks of vacation, & used every penny to pay off 23% of our consumer debt. This has the effect of making Saturdays and Sundays very precious.

Somebody in management needed to sign off on this, & I thought it was very kind of him to do so.

I did the same thing last year, and one of the supervisors created a big stink about it after the fact, trying to force me to take the weeks of vacation (i.e. stay home after I had already spent the money). Fortunately, that supervisor is no longer there.

Last edited:
So, somehow a South Bend Heavy Ten followed me home today! Had a pretty decent selection of stuff with it....Rohm 3-jaw, Cushman 4-jaw chuck, threading dial, indicator holder, collet adapter, spindle nose protector, collets, collet closer, live center, collet stand and even the collet closer hook on the back, steady rest, face plate, extra backing plate, some spare parts in a box, and for some reason two extra very nice QCGB levers. It seems tight, and while I've only run it for a few minutes, it seems to all work. I have to go through all the gearbox combos, but the power feed definitely works...heck, even the light works!

The serial number comes back as 1953...hopefully I look this good at 70!

IMG_3364.JPG

I cashed out 5 weeks of vacation, & used every penny to pay off 23% of our consumer debt. This has the effect of making Saturdays and Sundays very precious.
Mannie man, I totally support that. You have built up your shop with the best equipment you can buy, and some fine equipment it is. If you traded a year's vacation to pay the remainder of 1/4 of that investment, then I respect that.

Now listen. Freeing up 23% of your available credit does not mean you can afford to go out and buy more. Interest payments suck. It hurts inside a little when I read about you going out on a limb with finances, and I hope you stick with your debt elimination plan. In a few year's time, I hope you're on cash only!

Mannie man, I totally support that. You have built up your shop with the best equipment you can buy, and some fine equipment it is. If you traded a year's vacation to pay the remainder of 1/4 of that investment, then I respect that.

Now listen. Freeing up 23% of your available credit does not mean you can afford to go out and buy more. Interest payments suck. It hurts inside a little when I read about you going out on a limb with finances, and I hope you stick with your debt elimination plan. In a few year's time, I hope you're on cash only!

Thank you for supporting my tool purchases.

We have been paying ***$583.00 per month in just interest***! My wife and I are both disgusted with the consumer debt.

I don’t need any more tools or equipment (although I will need consumables), but the Honda minivan that we share (our sole automobile) has 185,000 miles on it, and who knows how long this van will last.

Last edited:

We have been paying ***$583.00 per month in just interest***! My wife and I are both disgusted with the consumer debt.

I don’t need any more tools or equipment (although I will need consumables), but the van that we share has 185,000 miles on it, and who knows how long this van will last.
589+400+575+283+16+65+49+25+10+28+25+13+15+63+54+31+8+18=$2267
According to this thread, you have spent this much since December 25th.
It's like a broken record.

Last edited:

I don’t need any more tools or equipment (although I will need consumables), but the Honda minivan that we share (our sole automobile) has 185,000 miles on it, and who knows how long this van will last.
185,000 isn't that much for a Honda. My wife's 1991 Accord had over 275,000 miles on it when she passed it on to her daughter, who later passed it on to a granddaughter. It had over 320,000 miles when the granddaughter was T-boned by a woman who ran a stop sign. No serious injuries, but the Accord was totaled. At the time, it was consuming just over one quart of oil in 3,000 miles.

185,000 isn't that much for a Honda. My wife's 1991 Accord had over 275,000 miles on it when she passed it on to her daughter, who later passed it on to a granddaughter. It had over 320,000 miles when the granddaughter was T-boned by a woman who ran a stop sign. No serious injuries, but the Accord was totaled. At the time, it was consuming just over one quart of oil in 3,000 miles.

Very encouraging! We are going to keep it going as long as possible. Maybe we will get another decade of use out of it.

Very encouraging! We are going to keep it going as long as possible. Maybe we will get another decade of use out of it.
Eight years ago we bought a 1992 Honda Accord for our twins to drive to high school. They were okay with a manual transmission, since I had broken them in on our 1948 Jeep. My daughter is still driving the Honda commuting to Graduate School, and it recently passed 220, 000 miles, and needs no oil between changes.

Longevity is dependent on good maintenance. If you use good oil and filters and follow the recommended schedules, a Honda will last a very long time.

Back