What Did You Buy Today?

That is good. Parts for the old Hyster's are getting scarce. I picked up this 1981 5k lift to help move my machines into my shop. I got the job done, but it needed a new clutch and I did not feel like messing with it after talking to my forklift rep. He said once I got in there and figured out what I needed, I might not be able to get the parts because of the age. I ended up selling it and buying something newer.
forklift.jpg

That is good. Parts for the old Hyster's are getting scarce. I picked up this 1981 5k lift to help move my machines into my shop. I got the job done, but it needed a new clutch and I did not feel like messing with it after talking to my forklift rep. He said once I got in there and figured out what I needed, I might not be able to get the parts because of the age. I ended up selling it and buying something newer.
View attachment 434619

As unlikely as it is.. there's my exact forklift in the local scrap yard. It will most likely be there ten years from now. So, I have that. And, I have a machine shop. It's a rather simple machine. At least for the foreseeable future, this is what I'm working with. There are specialty forklift parts houses and such, so I'm sure I can get a clutch or other wear items if need be. Worst case, I have someone make what I need if I can't.

That's a nice looking Hyster in the photo!

589+400+575+283+16+65+49+25+10+28+25+13+15+63+54+31+8+18=$2267
According to this thread, you have spent this much since December 25th.
It's like a broken record.

Second reply to this post:

I did not have time to look back over what I bought since Dec. 25, but what I saw in my eBay was almost all consumables.

I definitely should not have to justify what I spent my own forced + excessive overtime money on that I earned at my hourly blue collar job.

Over the last 4 years, I have tooled up to be able to do all that I would have done at a welding school without leaving home, as going away to welding school is very expensive & I don’t want to leave my family (including the dogs) for many months.

I think the only non-consumable items that I bought since Dec. 25 was a dual cylinder welding cart, a cylinder each of acetylene & oxygen, & a regulator for each cylinder. I have used all 5 of these every weekend since I got them.

After the “broken record” comment, I am not going to post every pair of gloves, box of filler rod, cylinder refill, etc. that I buy on here, but look at the title of the thread! I honestly thought that there are others out there looking to build welding & machining skills, & that these people might want to pick up the same (or similar) items.

I’m just trying to build skills here, & it ain’t free! If anybody spends a discretionary $2,267 or so on anything that is a better investment in building metalworking skills, I would be very interested to look at that.

Last edited:
Second reply to this post:

I did not have time to look back over what I bought since Dec. 25, but what I saw in my eBay was almost all consumables.

I definitely should not have to justify what I spent my own forced + excessive overtime money on that I earned at my hourly blue collar job.

Over the last 4 years, I have tooled up to be able to do all that I would have done at a welding school without leaving home, as going away to welding school is very expensive & I don’t want to leave my family (including the dogs) for many months.

I think the only non-consumable items that I bought since Dec. 25 was a dual cylinder welding cart & a cylinder each of acetylene & oxygen. I have used all 3 of these every weekend since I got them.

After the “broken record” comment, I am not going to post every pair of gloves, box of filler rod, cylinder refill, etc. that I buy on here, but look at the title of the thread! I honestly thought that there are others out there looking to build welding & machining skills, & that these people might want to pick up the same (or similar) items.

I’m just trying to build skills here, & it ain’t free! If anybody spends a discretionary $2,267 or so on anything that is a better investment in building metalworking skills, I would be very interested to look at that.
Hi Erik,

I don’t think you need to justify your purchases or finances to anyone besides your spouse.

While I’m impressed by some of the shops and tools I see on this site I’m no where close to the financial ability of some of our members.

You are very serious and methodical about building your skills and I’m certain your investments in both time and money will pay off in the long run. If for nothing else other than your own personal satisfaction.

You work hard bringing all the stuff we enjoy to people every day. And your investment isn’t even close to what some folks spend on cars, vacations, and other things they enjoy. Your real world accounting of the costs for this hobby probably help some of our members get a grasp on what stuff costs and how to get value by buying quality first.

Have a great week and enjoy whatever time you can in your shop, and with your family.

John

Hi Erik,

I don’t think you need to justify your purchases or finances to anyone besides your spouse.

While I’m impressed by some of the shops and tools I see on this site I’m no where close to the financial ability of some of our members.

You are very serious and methodical about building your skills and I’m certain your investments in both time and money will pay off in the long run. If for nothing else other than your own personal satisfaction.

You work hard bringing all the stuff we enjoy to people every day. And your investment isn’t even close to what some folks spend on cars, vacations, and other things they enjoy. Your real world accounting of the costs for this hobby probably help some of our members get a grasp on what stuff costs and how to get value by buying quality first.

Have a great week and enjoy whatever time you can in your shop, and with your family.

John

Thanks. I am very focused on all of us becoming better machinists and, if desired, welders. I got a great gas welding lesson from an old timer yesterday, the helpful lessons from which I plan to share with the forum as soon as I get time. For now, here is Fritz H. from Plantation (aka Farm Camp), CA welding like it’s 1970 (or should I say 1920):

39ECA341-AB04-4C0B-B61C-15D0F9B55FFD.jpeg

Last edited:
Back