What Did You Buy Today?

Not long ago I was tapping some 3/4" holes and my made in China tap handle broke, I picked up what was available that day to complete the project. Same crappy thing used it twice and the adjuster is muffed up and the jaw prefers to be cock-eyed. So I went ebay surfing and found the big one in the following image, 100 birthday was a decade back, still works great, really nice knurled handles that feel great, unlike the POS one that feels like your holding a pair of rough files.

I just need to find a nice smaller one now.
Make one. I was about to post this as an addendum to my post #4 in 'What Did You Make In Your Shop...', but after reading your timely post, this seems like a better place for it.

I happened to see a Joe Pi youtube video where he made a mini-tap handle. This morning, I decided to try making one because it had some interesting lathe work that I wanted to try. I made this one out of aluminum for practice, but it turned out so good, I think I'll keep it. I doubt that the small taps will wear it out anytime soon. If it does, I'll make another out of stainless. Here are some pictures:

IMG_2658.jpgIMG_2659.jpgIMG_2662.jpgIMG_2663.jpg

I'm considering making one slightly bigger out of stainless. Easy and interesting project.

Regards

I did it again, found this on FB Marketplace; listed at $70, got it for $50:

View attachment 435118
Starrett 196A1 (now Z) Indicator Set. Well, but gently used, very good condition. Used by the seller's grandfather, then the seller who is now doing mostly ornamental work (has a little coal/charcoal forge in his garage shop, and the biggest Kant-Twist I've ever seen). You can just make out where the original owner (I assume) stamped the inside of the box "1953," so it's a year younger than I am. Current version:

View attachment 435120
I picked up the same set here in South Africa at a Pawn broker. Paid the equivalent of $23

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

About a week and a half ago, I bought a pair of 1um glass scales to replace the 0.001" scales on my G0752Z lathe. They were finally shipped by AliExpress today, from China. Hoping to get them in the third week of February. Total price for the two scales was about $130. I figured it was worth a try. I don't need a display unit, since my ELS controller incorporates the DRO display and information. Crossing my fingers that they arrive relatively intact.

Mitutoyo height gauge, (less the zero extension:apologize:). I don't see the zero extension on the Mitutoyo website, just various scribes and they seem to be exceptionally proud of them based on the price.

Any guesses as to how old this is?

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I’ll take a stab just for fun. Based on the old logo on the dial maybe 1960’s?

It appears that you did get the Over Arm support.

Mitutoyo height gauge, (less the zero extension:apologize:). I don't see the zero extension on the Mitutoyo website, just various scribes and they seem to be exceptionally proud of them based on the price.

Any guesses as to how old this is?

Check out this page. Maybe 59-62

Cutting oil is my blood.

Back